Henry Street

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Henry Street

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:13 pm

Henry Street St James Bermondsey
Has anyone been watching the TV Series Hatfields and McCoys about a feud beween two families, that took place in the USA between (1863 and 1891 )

It opens with the American Civil War taking place - but what has this to do with Bermondsey you may ask?

Well it would seem the London Armoury Co of Henry Street Bermondsey, was a major arms supplier to this war, and shipped some 70,00 rifles and 7000 revolvers to the Confederacy during the period although there is no record of how many got through the Union blockade. The South did not have any money to pay for the weapons so they paid in "Cotton Bonds" to be redeeemed after the war was over, but as the Confederacy lost the war the bonds were worthless.

In fact the London Armoury weapon was considerd to be the best weapon at the time

This led to The London Armoury Company going into liquidation although most of the gunsmiths moved to north London and the London Small Arms Company.

Records show that the London Armoury Compnay were based in sheds at the Bricklayers Arms goods yard. But the recorded address is given as Henry Street Bermondsey.

Does anybody know of Henry Street Bermondsey or anything about it.

So Bermondsey and its history reached over the pond to the American Civil War

Picture 1 Shows 1862 Brand Mark on the stock of a rifle London Armoury Bermondsey

Picure 2 London Armoury 1858

Picture 3 Henry Street 1985

LondonArmouryCoBermondsey.jpg 1.jpg
london armoury 2LACfact1a.jpg
London armoury  3ACFact1.jpg

fosney

Re: Henry Street

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:32 pm

Posted by jill36

Fosney

Many thanks for some more interesting photos. I know nothing about Henry St but on a street change site Henry St SE1 is now Holyrood St running parallel to Tooley St.

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:35 pm

posteed by lawrence123

jill
In the 1891 Census list of streets there was a Henry Street in the Parish of St James in St Olaves, Bermondsey. So I don't think it would have been the one running parrallel to Tooley Street.

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:38 pm

Posted by jill36

Linda

I still think I am right - if you look at Fosney's third photo the wall on the right hand side is the railway just down from London Bridge and if you Google Holyrood St SE1 the photo there matches that photo. I think that the Parish of St Olave covered a large area.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi Jill

Yes it does seem you are correct, comparing the google images
LACFact1.jpg
Holyroodstreetgoggle.jpg
Holyrood Street - Formely Henry Street

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:06 pm

Posted by Lefora guest

Henry Street St James Bermondsey Breaking away from Tabard Estate for a short while.Has anyone been watching the TV Series Hatfields and McCoys about a feud beween two families, that took place in the USA between (1863 and 1891 )It opens with the American Civil War taking place - but what has this to do with Bermondsey you may ask?Well it would seem the London Armoury Co of Henry Street Bermondsey, was a major arms supplier to this war, and shipped some 70,00 rifles and 7000 revolvers to the Confederacy during the period although there is no record of how many got through the Union blockade. The South did not have any money to pay for the weapons so they paid in "Cotton Bonds" to be redeeemed after the war was over, but as the Confederacy lost the war the bonds were worthless.In fact the London Armoury weapon was considerd to be the best weapon at the timeThis led to The London Armoury Company going into liquidation although most of the gunsmiths moved to north London and the London Small Arms Comapany.Records show that the London Armoury Compnay were based in sheds at the Bricklayers Arms goods yard. But the recorded address is given as Henry Street Bermondsey.Does anybody know of Henry Street Bermondsey or anything about it.So Bermondsey and its history reached over the pond to the American Civil War Picture 1 Shows 1862 Brand Mark on the stock of a rifle London Armoury BermondseyPicure 2 London Armoury 1858Picture 3 Henry Street 1985[image]Stock Mark[image]The Factory 1858[image]Henry Street 1985

-fosney

Fosney as is often the case your post's are fascinating, the connection between Bermondsey and the American civil war just shows how desperate the u.k. was to hang on to 'old' America, (if not literally) by allowing this gun running , great stuff Fosney, i'm going to research into it further.

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:09 pm

Posted by Lawrence 123

Hi Jill,
I think you are right as in Steve's pics it is definitely the same building.
Linda

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:12 pm

posted by jill36

Hi Steve

Many thanks for these photos. It is a better one than I found.

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Henry Street

Map from 1872 shows Henry Street by the Railway near to Bermondsey Street.

Could it be that the Dog food Factory show on the map was the old Gun Factory?

And what was the link with the Bricklayers Arms Good Depot?

This area is shown as Bridge Ward Without in St Olave

1872 map of the area
1872map-2.jpg

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi Jill
Yes it does seem you are correct, comparing the google image.

Holyrood Street - Formely Henry Street

-bermondseyboy

Clearly that is the building in the third photo, but it wasn't built until more than 30 years after the London Armoury Company had been dissolved, so I wonder if the photo has been misattributed to the company and the latter was not situated in this Henry Street.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”