New kent Road

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

Re: New kent Road

Postby kiwi » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:39 am

NEW KENT ROAD, TROCADERO,.jpg

My brother Bob entering one of the talent competitions at the Trocadero and came second. I remember that a group won, which was not surprising as at that time Rock-n-Roll was all the rage and ballad singers were not as popular (late 1950s) My brother sang the song IF, a Perry Como song and was asked to go back the next night and sing the same song, which he did. They asked him if he would like to go on tour with the organisers of the show, just as a singer in-between the big acts. Great opportunity but after talking to his other half who wasn’t too keen, which you can understand, he decided to turn it down. I often wondered in later years what he thought and if he regretted that decision. Bobby worked as a docker in Tooley Street & Surrey Docks; he was also a singer in many of the local pubs, going under the name of Robby Dare. Sadly Bob passed away on Tuesday 17th December 2013, R.I.P bruv. :(

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:57 am

New Kent Road, Elephant & Castle Theatre. 1.jpg
New Kent Road, Elephant & Castle Theatre. 2.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:56 pm

This lodging house opened in 1913 as the epitome of the new hostels for working women housing for single low-waged working women. It was the Capital’s largest when built, accommodating 214 women in single cubicles and a further 46 in double bedrooms or 'special' rooms.
New Kent Road,Driscoll House 2017,is a Grade II listed building. It first opened as Ada Lewis House in 1913..jpg
Driscoll House 2017, is a Grade II listed building. It first opened as an "Ada Lewis House"

New Kent Road,Driscoll House Library..jpg
LIBRARY
New Kent Road,Driscoll House. Bedroom..jpg
BEDROOM
NEW KENT ROAD.jpg

Return to “Buildings & Streets”