Grange Road

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Re: Grange Road

Postby fosney » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:48 am

Grange Road

B Young Factory fromm the Air

From this picture we can see the size of the B Young Factory. To the right of the picture, you can see the Atkinson Cosmetic Factory and Alwyn School with the hockey pitch shown as a white square. To the top of the picture is Yalding Road, with Cadbury Road coming down to the back of the Glue Factory. Alscot Road can be seen to the left with all the old houses still remaining.

What can you see and remember
BermondseyAerialview.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:50 am

Posted by Lawrence 123

Hi fosney,
I well remember Youngs and the awful smell that wafted round the whole of Bermondsey on a bad day. My husband worked there for a while. He had to paint the massive tanks (not noticeable in the photo)that held different chemicals. My Mum worked as a cleaner in the evenings for Atkinson, and we would wait for her to come out on pay day and cadge money for chips in the chip shop opposite which we called the High Pavement. If my memory serves me right I think the chap who owned it was called Ray.
I had quite a few friends that lived in the old houses in Alscot Road.

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:38 am

Posted by by BillWinter

This wedding took place at St Lukes Church in Grange Road on Boxing day 1953 I am in the
middle wearing a Bow tie in fact all the men closely involved in the families wore a bow tie. The
Photographer set up his Camera in the middle of Grange Road and proceeded to take photos for the next 20 minutes and not a car passed by,a few pushbikes did .Next door to St Lukes Church
(which no longer exists) was The Boucher School which is behind the hat on the
Railings( Lh side) on the Rh side of the church out of sight was Hienke' s factory they made
deep sea diving equipment.Could you imagine standing in the middle of Grange Road NOW!!
2MEANDHILWEDDING.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:14 am

Posted by BillWinter

re the wedding in grange road P51
I mentioned that the vicar was inebriated.The Original booking was made in Sept of that year for the wedding to be at St Mary Magdalen's Church on the corner of Bermondsey Street and the end of Abbey Street before Long Lane starts, the first banns were called and we were then informed that owing to certain repairs were needed in the church that we would have to go to St Lukes.
That was a real downer.the wedding went on and 7 years later we were told due to vicars state
he had not completed the marraige certificate properly! and we would have to go to the vicararge
in Bermondsey St to sign in again.my wife Hilary was in hospital St Olaves at the time with a DVT
and the hospital staff got to hear about the error and she then jokingly became Miss Winter.
the marraige ceremony was legal otherwise our children could have been born out of Wedlock
not looked upon nicely back in those years.T^he Vicar had to come out of retirement to officiate
at the signing. More Happy Days.they are when you're younger.

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:21 am

Posted by dickemint50

Hi, I too remember the solarium, in the 1950's all children under the age of 5 had to attend there on a regular basis for check ups and eyesight and hearing tests.
I hated going but the plus side was a huge wooden rocking horse they had in the waiting area for children to play on. Also we used to come away with that fantastic concentrated orange juice that the health service gave away at that time. Never tasted orange juice like that since those days.
I remember in the late 50's may have been early 60's, there was an outbreak of small pox brought in from abroad. We went as a family to the solarium to have the vaccine and the queue went out of the building and around the corner. What a nasty vaccine it was too, a series of small needle holes were made in a ring on the top of the arm and then the vaccine put over them. A day later it would come up in a nasty painful lump, I still have the scar.

R Charlesworth

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:22 am

Posted by popyog29

HELLO DICKIEMINT,I REMEMBER HAVING A NIGHTMARE VISIT TO THE SOLARIUM FOR TEETH EXTRACTIONS,GAS,BY A MR EPSOM,MY BLOOD RUNS COLD WITH THE MEMORY.I HAD THE MISFORTUNE TO SPEND SOME TIME IN THE EVALINA HOSPITAL AS AN INFANT,WHERE THERE WAS A BIG WHITE ROCKING HORSE,COULD THAT BE THE HORSE YOU RECALL.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:24 am

HI EVERYONE
Same as a few other people i can remember going to the Solarium for check ups but it never worked out that way.You always finished up with someone poking in your mouth or somebody sticking a bloody great needle in you.I always felt worst coming out than when i went in. The mention of Evalina Hospital by Popyog29 brought back some memories.I also spent sometime in there when i was about four, can't remember what for though.I can remember some young girl (about 14) picking me up and i think if my memories right took me through a big bay window on to a balcony but i might be wrong about that, any way she dropped me on my head.So i went home with a big bandage on me head and to cap it all my Mum came to get me and forgot to bring my trousers.Then we get on the bus(was it a number 21) and the only seats empty are the long one's just by the door. I might have been only four but i kept my legs crossed all the way to the Bricklayers Arms and i never let my Mum forget that . KIWI

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:29 am

Posted by freddie

Forgive me if I am repeating myself and TBH the following information is before all of our times, but according to Kellys directory of 1859 the listed occupants of the row of buildings were originally as follows; from Spa Road heading east:

No.159 Sterry & Sharpe (surgeons) and 'National Vaccine Establishment' [this must be the vacant site in the pic]
158 not listed [looks like a cafe in the pic, alternatively a grocers]
157 Aldous James & Son (tailors)[appears to be a newsagents in picture]
156 Mrs Mary Davison (grocer)
155 'New Tanners Arms' landlord Thomas Andrews [by the bus stop and on the next corner with Ernest Street]

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:31 am

In 1915 they were:
159 Charles Stirling MB; Physician and Surgeon
158 Mrs Alice Collier; Linendraper
157 Henry Barnett, Watchmaker
156 Henry Andrews, Bootmaker
155 "New Tanner's Arms" - Francis Stephens

I remember the bus shelters like the one in the (earlier) photo. They were provided by the Bermondsey Borough Council, and we knew this because each one bore a small plaque saying so. They had a bar along the 'back' (furthest from the road) which you could lean against, sit upon (if you were big enough to get up on them), or roll over forwards or backward. And of course older lads found them useful for climbing onto the roof of the shelter.

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:32 am

Posted by vossy53

The Newsagents/tobacconist was called Ruebens when I was a kid (late 1950s and early 60s. I used to go in and get my nan's ciggys. ( 5 Weights...when did they stop selling fags in 5s?

Vossy

Vossy

Return to “Buildings & Streets”