Tower Bridge Road

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
rodebdon

Re: Trocette/Super Cinema tower bridge road

Postby rodebdon » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi Joe and Bermondseyboy.

I don't think I went to the picture club that often, sixpence was quite a lot of money, there was also lots to do on saturdays. I have to admit I'd forgoten about the promise, perhaps I got fed up with it and left. Those doughnuts at Edwards beckoned to.

Rod.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Posted by bigpurn13

i can remember being allowed in the trocette on rolloer skates with some mates ,but we had to promise to stay in the front section ,cause they had wooden seats there.

Millsy

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:43 pm

Posted by bermondsey48

We are the girls and boys we're minors, minors of the ABC, and every Saturday we line up, to see the films we love and shout aloud with glee, we are the girls and boys we're minors, such a happy band are we, we're all friends together, we're minors of the ABC. I think this was the song that was sung at the Elephant ABC. I also used to go to the Trocette, but I cant remember that song at all.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:44 pm

Posted by patapps

I do remember the Saturday morning pictures at the Trocette, but I only went if one of my mates had a birthday, because if you had a birthday you got free admission for yourself and one other! What a scrounger I must have been!
By the way did anyone out there live in Crosby Row flats? I lived there from 1945 until about 1951. I remember someone (name's gone now) whose grandparents lived in one of the cottages on the corner of Crosby Row and Snowsfields. They had a grape vine growing around the street door - tasty and juicy while you waited for someone to answer the knock.

Pat

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:45 pm

Posted by tonymarchant

i remember the trocette well we used to bunk in the side door using a bit of bent wire to slide in and open the door, imost of the time went to the globe because i lived in abberdour street and it was nearer,any one remember rock around the clock at the abc at the elephant it must of been in the fiftys in later years we used the outdoor cafe outside to stop for tea and meat pies on the way back from the west end

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:47 pm

Posted by bermondseybeat

Wouldn't it be good if we could see some footage of the inside and the outside of the Trocette!!?

Phil.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:47 pm

Posted by moggy

I remember many years later when it was closed and disused, the "T" on the sign on the roof had fallen down and it was the "Rockett"

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:48 pm

Posted by doates

I went to the Trocette Saturday morning club a few times. Around twelve noon, "all-e-out" time, we often came out into the sun with a bouncing headache but went back the following week. Can only remember Hop-along Cassidy and Roy Rogers with Trigger. It was somewhere for the kids to go from getting under their mum's feet for a couple of hours. We found that Edwards' doughnuts soon got rid of the headache!!
So Trocette, headache and doughnuts - not a bad way to spend Saturday morning.

rodebdon

Postby rodebdon » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:49 pm

It's rather nice how many of us have the same memories, Trocette, and Edwards. How did Edwards ever go out of business.
, The best doughnuts in the world let alone the apple slice and other great things. Hop-along Cassidy
and Roy Rogers, there must have been many others but I can't remember them either.

Rod

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Posted by millylinseyst

Does anyone remember in about 1946/47 the Trocette use to have a talent show some Saturday mornings when children could get up on stage and do their party piece and win a prize if they got the most applause from the kids in the audience?
Milly

Return to “Buildings & Streets”