Spa Road

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Re: Spa Road

Postby fosney » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Posted by millylinseyst

On the subject of the italian prisoners in Spa Road I do remember them but unfortunately it seems that you boys were allowed much more freedom to roam than I, as my father was very victorian in his attitude to his daughters during the war years so therefore I am sorry I cannot add any more memories.
Millylinsey

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:03 pm

Posted by rstupple 2

Hi Bermondsey Peeps
Picture taken inside the Sally Army Spa Road on Coronation day The guy standing up covered me but see Mum above his right shoulder, If you can remember the day started off Ok it was a public hoilday so all the men were home, On Neckinger Estate the men were putting the bunting up as a eight yr old kid don't know why they had to keep stopping and pouring that brown stuff down their Necks. After they had put the Bunting up, the weather changed and it started raining so the outdoor party had to be cancelled and we ended up having in the sally army. Anybody else remember that day.
Rick
30f81f24029999562ab2e33e64d62d12f7af7f21.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Posted by Taxi105

Hi Lesley
Thanks very much for the information,
Its incredible really the wealth of knowledge that available for anyone researching Bermondsey
One question I noticed the posting for the Coronation Dayat party at the Salvation Army in Spa Road, for Rouel Road we held ours at the Rouel Road Synagogue were did you go to yours ?

David

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:20 pm

posted by bermondseygal

Hi Lesley
Thanks very much for the information,
Its incredible really the wealth of knowledge that available for anyone researching Bermondsey
One question I noticed the posting for the Coronation Dayat party at the Salvation Army in Spa Road, for Rouel Road we held ours at the Rouel Road Synagogue were did you go to yours ?
David

-taxi105

You're welcome David.

I wasn't born until 1958 so I missed the coronation! Lol.
I have no idea where members of my family held their coronation celebrations but I have seen a bad quality family photo of a street party which could either be VE Day or the coronation.

Lesley

You can take the girl out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the girl!

fosney

Postby fosney » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:37 am

Posted by millylindseyst

Hi Rick glad you like the pics of the Library and yes I do remember the model at the top of the stairs I wonder whatever happened to it? I joined the library when I was 9 yrs of age and I could not wait until I reached 13 so as I could then go upstairs to the adult part of the Library! Milly

fosney

Postby fosney » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Posted by maltbystreet

blimey yes i remember the model of the libary at the top of the stairs. But what a shame that this wonderful old building is some sort of bloody temple. Things change but not for the better. A libary is for all the people of the comounity,but a temple is just for a few.

fosney

Postby fosney » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Posted by bermondseywaller

blimey yes i remember the model of the libary at the top of the stairs. But what a shame that this wonderful old building is some sort of bloody temple. Things change but not for the better. A libary is for all the people of the comounity,but a temple is just for a few.

-maltbystreet

Couldn't agree more, the old library was most probably my favourite place were I spent many many hours as a child. Such a beatiful place, almost like being in church as the hushed tones seemed to be the same. Not like todays librarys, full of people on the internet (oops) chatting and generally dossing about and the books somewhat as an afterthought. This trend for "inclusivity" seems to exclude so many people and create disharmony among so many especially us "old timers" who grew up in multicultural areas like Bermondsey and all got along ok without some leftist pc obsessed pillock telling us what we should think. With Rememberance Day fast approaching thoughts of the sacrifices made by our ancestors and all our troops still fighting today are very much in the public thoughts. How many of "The Fallen" would have been proud of what this country has become?
As a rebellious teenager in the 70's & 80's I used think my elders were out of touch with "my generation" and swore I'd always be with it. I've now turned into my parents and despair of todays generation ( and I don't get the music "not like the good ol' tunes of our days when you understood all the words" ) does this happen to us all or is it just me?
Dawn
(sorry for ranting)

times were hard but "IT NEVER DID ME ANY HARM"

fosney

Postby fosney » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Posted by bermondseygirl

Hi Bermondseywaller
I too used to love Bermondsey Library albeit I only liked Enid Blyton! However, my dad always encouraged me to go to the library saying you could learn anything in there. He was in the building trade and could go and read up on things he wasnt sure of how to do. I think it also helped because it was free. Something I think will not continue for much longer in the present economic climate. I used to also go to the National Art Gallery on a Sunday for somewhere to go, again another free institution. When my dad was living in Bermondsey and got ill I used to go each week for him to Spa Road Library (driving down from Kent) and get the large print books. Dont know what he would have said if he saw what has happened to the Library I should imagine it would have been very colourful language.

Bermondseygirl

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:58 am

The Salvation Army, 122 Spa Road, was opened in 1896, a former warehouse it was known as the Spa Road Elevator. “Elevators” which combined a factory space with hostel type accommodation for those working there. Work varied over the years including carpentry, joinery, cabinet making & basket & brush making.
Spa Road was used mainly for recycling of household salvage, particularly waste paper, Spa Road became the headquarters for salvage work.
It was converted to provide a place for work by day & accommodation at night for up to 50 men. An extension was opened in 1911 with a dining hall to seat 500, two dormitories with space for 250 beds, Spa Road employed 600 men at one time.
Men taken on at Spa Road received only their board & lodgings in return for their work, in the second week they received sixpence in cash.
With the work increasing & they became more proficient, some men could eventually earn 8 or 9 shillings a week plus their board & lodgings.
You can see why they had the Italian prisoners there, space, accommodation & work.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:07 am

Spa Road..jpg
SPA ROAD
TICKET.gif
SPA ROAD TICKET
SPA ROAD TICKET, C1904.   X..png
c1904.
Spa Road ticket 1.  X..png
Spa Road ticket 2.  X..png
Last edited by kiwi on Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”