Spa Road

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Re: Spa Road

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:57 am

posted by rstupple2

Nearest thing to getting a picture across Spa Park.
The original picture shows the old shops and houses in Alscot Road and Town Hall in the distance.
Today we find the shops and old houses have all disappeared but the old Town Hall and Library can be seen through the trees.

-fosney

Hi Joe In the newer pic the tree in the fore of the pic, my mate used to live in an house right by that tree. Do you remember the pub that used to be across the road, down the street at the side of the pub used to be a coal yard that was owned By a guy named Danny McCarthy and his son of the same name.

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:59 am

Rick

If I remember rightly the short side road had an alley which was a short cut into the council estate. Can you also remember St Lukes Church Hall in Alscot Road I used to belong to that Cub Pack before joining the one at Thorburn Square. Now I'm talking about over sixty five years ago Memories Ah !

Joe

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Posted by rstupple2

Rick
If I remember rightly the short side road had an alley which was a short cut into the council estate. Can you also remember St Lukes Church Hall in Alscot Road I used to belong to that Cub Pack before joining the one at Thorburn Square. Now I'm talking about over sixty five years ago Memories Ah !
Joe

-fosney

Joe, Don't remember the hall as i was just being born 65 years ago still a youngster.
Rick

fosney

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Spa Road - Cecilia Place
We have returned to Spa Road again with a picture of a row of Georgian Terraced houes with two shops at the end of the terrace, the picture was taken in 1938. It has been very hard to decide where in Spa Road these houses were placed, but with the help of freddie and the evidence in the photograph and with the help of old maps we have placed the site as the north side of Spa Road next to the railway viaduct and bridge adjacent to Rouel Road ( practically opposite where the old Pearce Duffs factory was).
2073e9f4f0609fca5e50ae2a80bdbf0f5dca5de8(2).jpg
Spa Road 1938

ed2edd1016178af64ce48cbe5bf976cf27a07d35(1).jpg

kiwi

Re: Spa Road Railway Station.

Postby kiwi » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:07 am

Spa Road 1836-1915.
There are actually two disused Spa Road stations:
The London & Greenwich Railway opened London's first railway between Spa Road and Deptford on 8th February 1836, the eventual northern terminus at London Bridge not opening until later in the year. Rebuilt with successive viaduct widenings, Spa Road station was resited to its final location in 1867 and renamed Spa Road & Bermondsey in 1877. It was closed during the first world war due to staff shortages but remained closed because of the light passenger traffic it had previously attracted.
1930s map of the area showing Spa Road & Bermondsey station. Even though it had closed at least 15 years prior to the publication of the map. The original Spa Road station was located slightly to the North-West, by the junction of Frean St & Rouel Rd (Frean St has now disappeared from the map: a housing development has been built in the square enclosed by Rouel Rd,Old Jamaica Rd, Thurland Rd & Spa Rd.
map9.jpg
spa road.jpg

Spa Road 1836, tunnel underneath the viaduct with the stairs up to the station on the left. This is the view approaching the viaduct from the south..jpg
The following print from 1836 shows the Spa Road, tunnel underneath the viaduct with the stairs up to the station on the left. This is the view approaching the viaduct from the south.
Last edited by kiwi on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:13 am

Spa Road Station,1926..jpg
Spa Road Station,1926.
Spa Road Railway Station, Bermondsey..jpg
Spa Road Railway Station, Bermondsey
SPA ROAD STATION..jpg
SPA ROAD STATION.

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:19 pm

Salvation Army ---- Spa Road
Pictures Courtesy The Salvation Army Heritage Centre
Bermondsey Yesterday and today and Tomorrow
Affectionately known as the "Sally Ann" the Salvation Army has been around since 1865.
The Salvation Army Colony in Spa Road had a long history of serving the community in this area, a hostel for men and a place to find social work.
During the war the colony buildings were used to house Italian prisoners of war before dispersal.
Today the colony has gone and is to be replaced by a modern complex of flats. The building is now complete
Last picture buttone is artists impression of the flats .
c2ad56f194e142e75a92c826496dc02c334e7ba9.jpg
742cba7dc055dc8b10893b5f601be84ffe4d4bc6.jpg
fac8b77c487dddad61b2f1cb4d866e4cd559abea.jpg
7f528c3c0db6650dc229bc2122e6e7f38b596b5b.jpg
197ec5401a26821e5d913d6c4ca0eb1bad447915.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Posted by rstupple2

Salvation Army ---- Spa Road
Pictures Courtesy The Salvation Army Heritage Centre
Bermondsey Yesterday and today and Tomorrow
Affectionately known as the "Sally Ann" the Salvation Army has been around since 1865.
The Salvation Army Colony in Spa Road had a long history of serving the community in this area, a hostel for men and a place to find social work.
During the war the colony buildings were used to house Italian prisoners of war before dispersal.
Today the colony has gone and is to be replaced by a modern complex of flats.
Last picture is artists impression of the flats .

-fosney

Hi Joe These pics are making me feel realy sad, From 1952 until 1969 I lived in the neckinger Est on spa Road. we had two connections with the sally Army 1 in 1953 i think, there was a BBC documetry on the Sally army had to be BBC only one channel then In the film a man is looking out the window towards the Flats Neckinger Est the voice over is saying what is happening in normal life over there it then changes to a picture of a young woman puting a youngster to Bed (My Mum & Brother). The other connection is that when my Dad retired he got a little part time Job there . Your doing a great Job on these pics Joe.
Rick

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:14 pm

Posted by Taxi105

Hi Fosney
I was born in 1944 so can not remember, much about the war but my father told me
that they used to march the Italians POWS from the salvation army, to the Rialto Cinema
in the Blue, Is that true.?

Also my mother would regularly go to the Salvation Army Furniture and Cothing Auctions on Saturday mornings in the 1950s, I was kitted out with second hand clothes shoes, bought at these a auctions and would proudly wear them. In fact one Saturday she bought a Dulwich College blazer with red and black stripes, as I entered the school gates an art master MR Starkey recognized the blazer ask me where I had got it, I promptly told him proudly the Salvation Army , he then said that was my old school and how smart I looked.

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:19 pm

taxi105

I think I was about 8 when the Italians were housed in the Salvation Army Hostel in Spa Road, and as I recall they were free to wander where the liked within reason within the Spa Road area as kids we used to hang abouth the gates of the Hostel and talk to them and most of them occupied themselves by making things out of scrap metal such as rings and bracelets and give them to the kids.
They did use the Rialto for films dont know what language the films were in, but I think the main Idea was just to keep them occupied untill they were sent away, I cant recall there being any trouble while they were in Spa Road not to my knowledge anyway.
And this as sets me thinking of what theatre of war did they come from ,North Africa I suppose perhaps someone can enlighten us. I know that millylinseyst can recall them being in Spa Road perhaps she can recall what she remembers
Joe

Return to “Buildings & Streets”