Page 1 of 17

Astoria old kent road

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:13 pm
by bermondseyboy
Astoria Old Kent Road.jpg
Astoria Old Kent Road
The stage console of the Compton dual-console organ of the Astoria Cinema Old Kent Road.jpg
Compton dual-console organ


The Astoria Theatre, 593-613 Old Kent Road, London
Later - Paramount Astoria Theatre / The Mad Dog Bowl / Astoria Sports Centre


http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/AstoriaTheatreOldKentRoad.htm

Globe old kent road

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:20 pm
by bermondseyboy
Globe Old Kent Road 1910-1960.jpg
Globe Old Kent Road 1910-1960

The Globe: 59-61 Old Kent Road

Opened in 1910, The Globe Theatre was from the very start a building with significant aspirations. Contemporary advertisements proclaimed that the audience could ‘See the World at the Globe,’ and watch ‘Pictures from around the Globe.’ With a capacity of 930, it certainly provided ample space for Bermondsey locals to gather and experience the latest on-screen entertainment.

Always independently operated it was renamed Globe Cinema in around 1946, and affectionately called ‘the bug hut’ in its later years due to its increasingly dilapidated state of repair. The Globe Cinema was closed on 6th February 1960 with Jock Mahoney in "The Land Unknown" and Eric Fleming in "Curse of the Undead". It was later demolished and the site redeveloped.

Today, the site at the top of the Old Kent Road bears no trace of its glamorous past. Perched on the edge of a teeming roundabout, traffic sweeps past without a second glance.

Regal old kent road

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:23 pm
by bermondseyboy
Regal Old Kent Road 1937-1974.jpg
Regal Old Kent Road 1937-1974


Located in the South Bermondsey district of south London, at the corner of Old Kent Road and Gervase Street. Built for and operated by Associated British Cinemas(ABC), the Regal Super Cinema opened on 18th January 1937 with Clark Gable in "San Francisco" and Gertrude Michael in "Second Wife". Designed in a splendid Art Deco style by ABC’s ‘in-house’ architect W.R. Glen, it was the largest of ABC’s London suburban cinemas, but had over 400 seats less than the nearby Astoria Theatre, Old Kent Road! There was concealed lighting in troughs in the auditorium ceiling, and on the side splay walls were decorative panels depicting a deer in a forest setting.

The Regal Cinema was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/6Rank organ, with Melotone unit and an illuminated console, that was opened by organist Charles Smart. There was a fully equipped stage which was used in the early days for variety performances as part of the film programme.

On 13th December 1959, the Regal Cinema was the host of a charity premiere of “Tommy the Toreador” starring Tommy Steele, who was born and raised in Bermondsey. He appeared in person, together with his co-star star Janet Monro, and other film star comedians Eric Sykes, Charlie Drake, Terry Thomas, Sid James, Bernard Cribbins and singers Ronnie Carroll and Millicent Martin.

It was re-named ABC in 1963, and the Compton organ was removed in 1965, and later in 1969 it was installed in the Memorial Hall, Windsor. The ABC was closed on 9th February 1974 with Carlos de Carvalho in "Forbidden Decameron"(Il Decamerone Proibito-Le Altre Novelle del Boccaccio) and Eva Czemerys in "Wife By Night"(Bella di Giorno Moglie di Notte).

It was converted into a bingo club, which only lasted a few years. The ABC was demolished in November and December 1981.

Victory

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:57 pm
by fosney
Victory Trafalgar Road.jpg
Trafalgar Road
Old Kent Road

THE ALEXANDRA.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:08 am
by kiwi
The Alexandra pub, Canal Bridge, Old Kent Road..jpg
The Alexandra Pub, Canal Bridge,Old Kent Road.
Alexandra pub plans,Old Kent Road.jpg
Alexandra pub plans,Old Kent Road

Old Kent Road, The Alexandra, Canal Bridge.   X.png

OLD KENT ROAD.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:16 am
by kiwi
Bricklayers Arms,Old Kent Road..jpg
OLD KENT ROAD,BRICKLAYERS ARMS.

Re: OLD KENT ROAD.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:33 am
by kiwi
Old Kent Rd,next door to the Lord Nelson pub..jpg
NEXT DOOR TO THE LORD NELSON PUB.
625 Old Kent Road.1911..jpg
625 OLD KENT ROAD,1911.

Re: OLD KENT ROAD.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:45 am
by kiwi
Gas Works..jpg
SOUTH METROPOLITAN GAS WORKS,OLD KENT ROAD.
Gas Works Band, Old Kent Road,c1925.Picture taken in Greenwich.jpg
GAS WORKS BAND,c 1925, PICTURE TAKEN IN GREENWICH.

Re: OLD KENT ROAD.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:51 am
by kiwi
Gas Works Old Kent Road,c1914..jpg
GAS WORKS,OLD KENT ROAD,c 1914.
Gas Works,Old Kent Road..jpg
HEAVY WORK FOR WOMEN.

Re: OLD KENT ROAD.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:38 pm
by kiwi
GAS WORKS.jpg
GAS WORKS,OLD KENT ROAD. TURKS HEAD PUB ON THE CORNER.
OLD KENT ROAD. THE TURKS HEAD.   X.png