OLD KENT ROAD.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

Re: OLD KENT ROAD.

Postby kiwi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:59 am

From the Film Salvage Gang 1958'
Film Salvage Gang 1958 Old Kent Road, Marcia Road left and further on the right-hand side the junction with Surrey Square. X.jpg
Old Kent Road, Marcia Road left and further on the right-hand side the junction with Surrey Square.
Film Salvage Gang 1958.Old Kent Road, just past Penry Street looking south east. The opening on the left-hand side is to a garage. X.jpg
Old Kent Road, just past Penry Street looking south east. The opening on the left-hand side is to a garage.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:24 am

I wasn’t to sure what the Waif’s Festival was, I think this poster explains.
Old Kent Road c1919, children ready for a meal during a Waif's Festival at St George's.jpg
Old Kent Road c1919, children ready for a meal during a Waif's Festival at St George's Hall
Old Kent Road, the Waifs and Strays’ Society, the original name of The Children’s Society, was founded in 1881.jpg
Waifs and Strays’ Society, the original name of The Children’s Society, was founded in 1881

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:17 am

Wellington Baths, Old Kent Road. This building was erected in 1905 at the Old Kent Road junction with Marlborough Grove. The baths had two swimming pools, slipper baths, Turkish baths, Russian vapour baths and a public wash house. The building was destroyed by bombing during WW2.
Old Kent Road, Wellington Baths. junction with Marlborough Grove, Destroyed in WW2..jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:33 am

Old Kent Road, Bermondsey, first picture I’ve seen with Walworth’s in it. Albany Road left, Humphrey Street right..jpg
Old Kent Road, Bermondsey, first picture I’ve seen with Walworth’s in it. Albany Road left, Humphrey Street right.

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:53 pm

kiwi wrote:This part of OKR was known as Sussex Place in the 1860s.

Sussex Place was the terrace of houses further to the north-west that became 464-484 OKR; 464 was on the corner of Ossory Road. This was a common practice by developers to make the new properties sound posher and it has been continued since, but in fairness OKR hadn't been numbered at that time.

Not sure of the date of the picture

There's no sign of the branch of tram track into Bowles Road so probably post WWI.

Pub on the opposite side of the street to later years.

I don't think the Lord Wellington was ever on the opposite side of either street, the post WWII replacement was built on the same site.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:58 pm

Thanks for that Fogbrain,
Re-Sussex Place 1860. Your right, I never explained that correctly. Also, along there and heading towards St James Road, same side as Sussex Place, was called Pleasant Row then Prospect Place. Opposite Sussex Place it was called Marlborough Place.
Just found a map dated 1900, which is showing the Tram Track in Bowles Road running into the Tramway Depot.
Lord Wellington Pub. I’ll go with you on that. Cheers.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:25 am

OLD KENT ROAD,CASTLE PUB AND CARTERS..jpg
OLD KENT ROAD,CASTLE PUB AND CARTERS.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:17 pm

OLD KENT ROAD c1900s. The Baptist Chapel, Albany Road and the Thomas A' Becket Pub on the left. To the left of the Chapel was a School for Girls and Infants.
OLD KENT ROAD c1900s The Baptist Chapel, Albany Road and the Thomas A Becket Pub on the left..jpg
C 1900s
Old kent Road to the left of the shops was Cobourg Road.jpg
Old kent Road to the left of the shops was Cobourg Road.
is Cobourg Rd. ;)

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:39 am

The Kings Arms Pub is on the right, Bricklayers Arms Pub on the left. Not sure of the year but The Old Kent Picture House opened in February 1910, next to the Kings Arms Pub and it’s not there in the picture. I think the steeple on the right is possibly the Deaf & Dump School.?
Old Kent Road, The Kings Arms Pub on right. Bricklayers Arms Pub on left..jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Old Kent Road..jpg
On the right along by the the pub, in Tower Bridge Road was a Barbers where I had my hair cut 1940s/50s. Really didn't like having my hair cut.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”