OLD KENT ROAD.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

Re: OLD KENT ROAD.

Postby kiwi » Sat May 27, 2017 4:28 am

Old Kent Road, Madron Street right, Dun Cow pub to the left.   X.png
Old Kent Road, Madron Street right, Dun Cow pub to the left, same shops as in the picture below.

The Old Kent Road by The Dun Cow Pub Bermondsey in 1975, this is how I remember it.On the left, down near the bus is Kinglake Street..jpg
The Old Kent Road by The Dun Cow Pub Bermondsey in 1975. This is how I remember it,on the left, down near the bus is Madron Street.
OLD KENT ROAD MAWBEY HOUSE.jpg
MAWBEY HOUSE OLD KENT ROAD
Last edited by kiwi on Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon May 29, 2017 10:10 am

Old Kent Road looking towards May Smiths Record Shop at Junction of East Street and Old Kent.jpg
Old Kent Road looking towards May Smiths Record Shop at Junction of East Street and Old Kent Road

A few shops in the Old Kent Road ( Dun Cow/ East Street area), you had Bennets Sports Shop, Wells’s furniture shop, Penns Mens’ Clothes Shop and the Vernon Davey School of Motoring.
Last edited by kiwi on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Mon May 29, 2017 6:08 pm

kiwi wrote:Junction of Pomroy Street and Old Kent Road in 1953.
strictly speaking this is New Cross Road, Old Kent Road ends the other side of the Bridge. "Not a lot of people know that"

Even strictlier speaking, this is Old Kent Road except for the very close foreground, as it's the junction with Loder Street (not Pomeroy Street) - the very point where OKR becomes New Cross Road. Even fewer people know that.

And speaking even more strictly than that - you could argue that the photographer is practically standing on the point where the two roads meet - the old boundary between Camberwell and Deptford ran down the west side of White Post Lane, crossed OKR/NCR at an angle on the same N/S bearing, and continued south between the backs of premises. In which case I reckon № 2 New Cross Road, to the photographer's extreme left on the corner with Loder Street, was actually in the Old Kent Road. And virtually no-one knows that!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue May 30, 2017 3:11 am

Old Kent Road, on most maps it stops at the Bridge and New Cross Road starts the other side and this is what I went by so strictly speaking we are only talking about fifty yards. Obviously, it’s good to get it right but there are ways of putting it and with a little bit of decorum

Loder Street ran along by the railway, (was called Chesterfield Way) so it’s not Loder Street in the picture as you say, even fewer people know that.
To me the bus is where I stated opposite Pomeroy Street and yes this is where New Cross Road begins and virtually no-one knows that! but they will now, so one out of two is not too bad actually.

Unfortunately, the information given with photos sometimes is not always right, I do try to check the information before posting but as you can imagine this can take a long time and you can still get it wrong, apologies for that, I can only do my best for the benefit of the site and its members.

Bermondseyboy and he won’t thank me for saying this, was good enough to start this site, not as a job but because he thought it was worthwhile and he should be applauded for that. For myself It’s not my job, I love where I come from and I enjoy posting the information on site about it but I also know that Bermondseyboy deserves my/that support.

Cheers Kiwi.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:13 am

Tollgates at the Green Man Pub, Old Kent Road c.1865.
Tolls levied by Turnpike Trusts funded new roads and the improvement of old ones in the later 18th century.
These new roads, such as the New Kent Road, stimulated development in the surrounding areas.
The Old Kent Road was gated between two pubs, The Green Man on its south side and the Dun Cow on the north.
The Greenman Pub, Old Kent Road..jpg
The Greenman Pub, Old Kent Road
Site of The Greenman Pub OldKent Road Kinglake St next to it..jpg
Site of The Greenman Pub Old Kent Road Kinglake St next to it. 2016

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:25 pm

Photo taken from the corner of New Kent Road, Great Dover Street left and Hartleys Jam factory in background. Bus (right) heading towards Tower Bridge Road 2016.
BRICKLAYERS ARMS ROUNDABOUT 2016.jpg
BRICKLAYERS ARMS ROUNDABOUT 2016

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:29 am

PANCAKE RACE.
1965, historical, female competitors pose for a picture outside The Lord Wellington public house in the Old Kent Road, in their aprons and with their frying pans before the annual Shrove Tuesday pancake race. This was an annual race between The Lord Wellington and the Prince of Wales Pubs, probable run between the two pubs?
OLD KENT ROAD.jpg
PRINCE OF WALES PUB RUBY STREET, OLD KENT ROAD.jpg
PRINCE OF WALES PUB RUBY STREET, OLD KENT ROAD,now the MYSTIQUE NIGHT CLUB.

OLD KENT ROAD PANCAKE RACE 1962 X.jpg
OLD KENT ROAD PANCAKE RACE 1962
OLD KENT ROAD X.jpg
This is Ruby Street.Prince of Wales pub on the right.

Old Kent Road.jpg
Picture shows the winning lady holding aloft her trophies outside the Prince of Wales pub in the annual pancake race on the Old Kent Road, 1965

Pancake Race 1, Old Kent Road, 1965.  X..png
Pancake Race, Old Kent Road, 1965.
Pancake Race 1, Old Kent Road same location 2022. Malt Street left & I think that is George Elliston House right..png
Pancake Race, Old Kent Road same location 2022. Malt Street left & I think that is George Elliston House right.
The Oxford Arms Pub would have been where Asda is.
Last edited by kiwi on Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

briancreasey44

Postby briancreasey44 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:21 am

kiwi wrote:Junction of Pomroy Street and Old Kent Road in 1953. Very like where Fosney’s tram is in an earlier post, bus/tram heading towards New Cross. Good to see I’m not the only one that doe’s it, as strictly speaking this is New Cross Road, Old Kent Road ends the other side of the Bridge. "Not a lot of people know that" ;) Junction of Pomroy Street and Old Kent Road in 1953. This is New Cross Rd,Old Kent Rd ends the other side of bridge..jpg

Hi Ray,

Technically, you are still looking at the Old Kent Road!
The TV shop that I worked in is at the far right of your picture, we were at 907 Old Kent Road.
The OKR ends and New Cross starts at the junction of White Post Street.
OKR 1950's.jpg

907 OKR.jpg

One point of interest for me between the two photos, I never knew the shop two doors down had an extra storey added!

EDIT - Sorry, just read one of the previous posts regarding the discrepency...
Yes, it was a little confusing! You would naturally think that the border is the railway bridge!
The amount of bemused people we used to get wandering into the shop asking for help with directions :lol:
We even had the odd customer questioning the address on our invoices!

Brian.
Looking Through The Knothole In Granny’s Wooden Leg!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:30 am

No problem Brian & thanks for that. Yes, I did slightly get it wrong but don’t tell the wife she keeps telling me I’m not PERFECT. ;)
I think this could be by Albany Road with Humphrey Street to the left but not sure?
OLD KENT ROAD 1900s.jpg
OLD KENT ROAD 1900s.

briancreasey44

Postby briancreasey44 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:49 pm

"kiwi"]No problem Brian & thanks for that. Yes, I did slightly get it wrong but don’t tell the wife she keeps telling me I’m not PERFECT. ;)
I think this could be by Albany Road with Humphrey Street to the left but not sure?
OLD KENT ROAD 1900s.jpg

Hi Ray,

Looks like you're right!

IMG_0505.JPG

Brian.
Looking Through The Knothole In Granny’s Wooden Leg!

Return to “Buildings & Streets”