OLD KENT ROAD.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

Re: OLD KENT ROAD.

Postby kiwi » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:02 am

Old Kent Road corner with Humphey Street, opposite The Thomas A’ Becket Pub and About four shops back from the shop on page 2 that as collapsed..jpg
Old Kent Road corner with Humphey Street, opposite The Thomas A’ Becket Pub and About four shops back from the shop on page 2 that's collapsed.
OLD KENT ROAD.jpg
The picture of the Thomas A Becket Pub reminds me of something that happened years ago which at the time to me was quite funny. It was about 1960 and I was driving for Beaches in Rouel Road at the time. This particular day I was waiting at the lights in Old Kent Road before turning right into Albany Road by the Thomas A ’Becket pub, in front of me waiting to turn right was a big flash car with about six yobs in it. Anyway, the lights change, and we turn right, on the left parked half on half off the pavement is a car, now if anyone can remember Albany Road it was quite narrow, so with traffic coming the other way the car in front couldn’t get passed. This didn’t go down to well with the yobs, hooter blaring; windows open all sorts of language, to move the car out of the way. No response from the people with the car on the pavement, who were bending down by the nearside front wheel. Now all the doors fly open and they begin to get out, next the two people on the pavement stand up, Henry Cooper and then brother George (Jim) holding the spare wheel in one hand. It was so funny the yobs were all trying to say sorry and get back into their car at the same time. It’s a memory I treasure, and it still brings a smile to my face, both Henry and Jim were down to earth guys and though I can’t say I knew them well, if you met them in the Becket or anywhere else they would always say hello.
ALBANY ROAD corner OLD KENT ROAD.jpg
British boxer Henry Cooper - right) and his twin brother George - arriving for a training session at the Thomas a Becket gym on the Old Kent Road
BLUE PLAQUE X.jpg
Last edited by kiwi on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patricia

Postby Patricia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:55 am

My nan and granddad lived in Walerum buildings when they were bombed out of abbey St

Patricia

Postby Patricia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:04 am

I remember the doctors surgery near the Dun Cow Dr. Aldershaw. I used to go to the Astoria and Regal cinemas. Does anyone remember The Hole in the Wall pease pudding? I always went to Berts Pies and mash. The one in the Old Kent Road

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:05 am

Old Kent Road, Rowcross Street on the right..jpg
Old Kent Road, Rowcross Street on the right..
OLD KENT ROAD.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed May 02, 2018 11:17 pm

Old Kent Road (A2) 1969 heading south east, Lewisham in the distance. Foreground left is New Cross Hospital. Behind the two tower blocks is New Cross LT bus garage. Technically, most of the road on the right is New Cross Road, Old Kent Road ending more-or- less by the road seen on the right (Pomeroy Street). :?:
New Cross Road, ,New Cross Hospital, left, Lewisham in the distance 1969..jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu May 17, 2018 3:05 am

Old Kent Road at Surrey Square, where the white building is,2014..jpg
Old Kent Road at Surrey Square, where the white building is,2014.

kiwi

Re: WILLIAM COOPER LTD

Postby kiwi » Sun May 20, 2018 2:16 am

COOPERS 3.jpg
COOPERS 4.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed May 30, 2018 4:28 am

Old Kent Road, near East Street, no longer there and rebuilt c2009. X.jpg
No longer there and rebuilt c2009.
Old Kent Road, near East Street..jpg
Old Kent Road, near East Street. Virgo’s was the shop in the corner, this is where the Brunswick Tavern, 148 Old Kent Road stood c1900 originally The Frog and Nightgown and it was on the corner of Alfreton street, (no longer there)
Old Kent Road, Frog & Nightgown Pub,1989. Kim Bridges & The Blue Moon Boys.   X..png
Old Kent Road, Frog & Nightgown Pub,1989. Kim Bridges & The Blue Moon Boys.

Old Kent Road. The Frog And Nightgown.  X.png
Old Kent Road. The Frog And Nightgown,demolished in 2013.   X.png
Last edited by kiwi on Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:24 am

Old Kent Road 1937, people boarding a tram. I think this could be between the Dun Cow and the Thomas A’ Becket pub, as the last shop on the left looks like Walworth’s but I could be wrong.
Old Kent Road 1937, people boarding a tram X.jpg
Old Kent Road 1937, people boarding a tram

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:49 am

OLD KENT ROAD. South metropolitan Gas Works to the left, Kentish Drovers Pub on the right..jpg
OLD KENT ROAD. South metropolitan Gas Works to the left, Kentish Drovers Pub is on the right
OLD KENT ROAD.jpg

Return to “Buildings & Streets”