OLD KENT ROAD.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Re: OLD KENT ROAD.

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Old Kent Road --Dun Cow

Another picture from the Dun Cow area about 1950. Who can remember Times Furnishing and was there not a mens outfitters along here I think it was Austins but can someone put me right.
Now the old shop that was Times is now a Mount Zion Chapel let alone what the other shops are, what are your memorys about this parade of shops from years
620b787fbe211b072ae7054970d7104a58f701e3.jpg
c8c38f9d5a96cdea200f887ff46c35714be45ed9.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:28 pm

Posted by bermondseygirl

Hi Fosney
It was lovely to see the photo of the Dun Cow area. You asked about other shops along there.
These are all the shops I can remember.
A bookmakers was next to the Dun Cow pub. A shop we used to call a corn chandlers.Also there was another furniture stores called Wells. A butchers called Bridgers. Hairdressers called Taylors.
Another hairdressers further up called Exclusive. A dress shop called Foremans. Ben Bebers the tailors. A greengrocers but cant remember the name. David Greiggs. The Rolls Estate Office was along there too. They let out houses in the area and you went there if you needed any maintenance etc carried out.
Other shops in the Old Kent Road: Staffords, Bouldens, Phylisses, Housemans, Dorothys,
Barrys Hairdressers, Woolworths, Whitehalls, Carters, Co-op, Launderette, Paper shops, Stamp Shop, Boots the Chemist. Marshalls the wet fish shop. Fish and chip shop. Dollands the Opticians. A couple of hardware shops.I am sure some other people will have memories too. They closed all the shops down years before they pulled them down as they were going to widen the Old Kent Road. It looked a mess for years, They pulled them down and put a Tescos in place of them. Once again lovely photo brings back happy memories.

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:24 pm

Posted by Lawrence123

Hi fosney,
Going back to your Dun Cow link, the men's outfitters just along from Times Furnishings was William Penn's, owned by a father and son in the sixties. I lived in a flat over their shop when I got married in 1962. I worked in Taylor Bros Hairdressers further along and my husband worked for Times for a while, so we were both out of bed into work.

Bermondseygirl can remember more shops than I can, but I remember Deards the ironmongers, Dolcis shoes, a Doctors surgery next to Taylors, Dr Oldershaw was one of them. Opposite the Dun Cow was a Radio and Television shop called OK Radio, my Dad was their engineer. The Green Man pub was a bit further along. The Corn Chandlers near the Dun Cow was called Swains, and when it closed down lots of mice ran along all the shops. A young lad who worked in David Greigs came running out of the back of the shop shouting that there were loads of mice out the back. All the women in the shop went potty. Whether he got the sack or not I do not know.

Next to Dolcis was the old NAB (National Assistance Board) office and then there was South London Pistons and an Off Licence. Then Berts the Pie and Mash Shop and on the corner of East Street was Mays record shop. On the other corner was Levy's menswear where my husband had all his suits made. Further along still was the Brunswick Arms pub which was pulled down and the Frog and Nightgown was built thereabouts. Further along was another shoe shop called Ringleaders. There was Carters menswear, District Radio and Harry Harvey the Photographer, coming back towards Marcia Road. There was a garage on the corner of Marcia Road, but the name escapes me. Then there was Nobles the grocery shop and a chemist before Taylor Bros.

The Old Fire Station along from the Thomas a Becket had a jumble sale one day when I was just a kid, and there was a big pile of Sunny Stories (my favourite comic) all tied up with string. They let me have them for a shilling and I thought all my birthdays had come at once.

I have got a headache now from trying to remember all this. But it does you good to get your brain working now and again (while it still can).

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:25 pm

I think between Bermondseygirl and lawrence 123 we have covered all the shops up to East Street all we need now is someone to come up with some new pictures, but since those days the whole area has changed, for good or bad one must ask

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:48 am

A lot of us remember the Globe Pic's, the highlight of my week when I was little and Mum could afford to lets us go. Never bothered me when I was bigger, a little bit of wire round the side door and that was it. It was smashing coming out and getting some hot Chestnuts, or going across the road to Old Joe's Fish Shop and getting a bag of crackling,was it a half 'penny or a Penny?. Trying to remember what else was there,Wimpy Bar on the other corner of Aberdour Street and more or less next to the Globe was it Stones Electrical shop?, then the Post Office and next to that the Chemist on the corner of Leroy Street. Across the road the Magnet Pub on the corner of Mason Street, back past the Fish Shop to the corner of Darwin Street was the Bank,I can remember a sweet shop along here but not sure where.
J & F Stone Electrical at nos.63-65 closed in 1976, was to the right of the Globe. I remember watching the TVs through the window (1940s).
GLOBE.jpg
Hot Chestnuts, I remember these outside the Globe Cinema, Old Kent Road.  X.png
Hot Chestnuts, I remember these outside the Globe Cinema, Old Kent Road.
We still do them here (NZ) sometimes, but they don’t taste so good.
Last edited by kiwi on Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:13 am

Old Kent Road junction Asylum Road. Background Tustin Estate..jpg
Old Kent Road junction Asylum Road. Background Tustin Estate

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:54 pm

Berts Pie Shop OKR.jpg
Berts Pie Shop - Old Kent Road

Photo sent in by Jan and Paul - Thank you

Does anyone know the history of Berts?
When did it open, and when did it close?
What has become of Berts?

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:01 pm

OKR Library.jpg
Old Kent Road Library
OKR 1950.jpg
Old Kent Road 1950

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:53 pm

ANCIENT DRUIDS,OLD KENT ROAD 1896..jpg
UAOD (United Ancient Order of Druids) Lodges Old Kent Road 1896.

fosney

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:37 am

Old Kent Road --Dun Cow

Another picture of the Dun Cow- Old Kent Road some time after the trams had gone and the lines removed. The pub is still open and the Trumans sign can be seen at the top of the building.
The shops to the right of the picture are still open with the cycle shop on the corner.
Today all that remains is the pub building the pub has closed and the old shops in Dunton Road
e38430c9823738c535640bcce7f660076cc144f0.jpg
05c8d11858f4f3f02a82d2a5c9bcc9db6b17ba5b.jpg

Return to “Buildings & Streets”