OLD KENT ROAD.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
Online
kiwi
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: OLD KENT ROAD.

Postby kiwi » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:29 am

RISING SUN, 799 OLD KENT ROAD..jpg
Rising Sun, 799 Old Kent Road. I think this was near where Hillbeck Close is today.?

Online
kiwi
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: OLD KENT ROAD.

Postby kiwi » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:56 am

Old Kent Road Picture House, Bricklayers Arms.jpg
Old Kent Road Picture House, Bricklayers Arms.
42-44 OLD KENT ROAD.jpg
42-44 OLD KENT ROAD.

The Old Kent Picture House opened in February 1910, with 1,450 seats, all on a single floor. In 1918, it was enlarged by adding a balcony and a Hill pipe organ with 2Manuals had been installed.
Further rebuilding raised the roof, enlarged the balcony and the auditorium, and this was to the plans of noted cinema architect Edward Albert Stone. It re-opened as a 1,993-seat cinema in November 1926.
Taken over by the United Picture Theatres circuit in January 1928, they were taken over by Gaumont Theatres from July 1930. The Old Kent Picture House was closed by bombing during World War II, but had re-opened by 1944.
By 1947 it was known as the Picture House, and was a very early closure by the Rank Organisation on 27th October 1956 with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis in "Pardners" and Tom Conway in "Breakaway".
The building was demolished to form part of a new road scheme which became the site of the Bricklayers Arms flyover.

Online
kiwi
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: OLD KENT ROAD.

Postby kiwi » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:24 am

Inside The Bricklayers Arms Pub,Old Kent Road..jpg
Inside The Bricklayers Arms Pub,Old Kent Road. Maybe someone will know the gentleman?
Bricklayers' Arms, this site has always been associated with that famous hostelry, and early records show that a well was once situated here where travellers to London stopped to water or change their horses when calling at the inn. Later the site became one of the largest horse omnibus yards in the metropolis, and many of the picturesque "knifeboard" vehicles set out from here. The Old Kent Road, once part of the old Pilgrims Way, has always been in fact, one of the main highways into London and for many years Royal and Illustrious travellers made the Bricklayers' Arms a special halting place for ceremonial entrances to the capital. A special railway station was erected later for the reception of distinguished visitors, and here Prince Albert was received when he first visited Queen Victoria. The Emperor Napoleon and the Empress Eugenie also alighted from the train at this spot, when paying a visit at the time of the Crimean War.


Return to “Buildings & Streets”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kiwi and 3 guests