Rouel Road

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Rouel Road

Postby fosney » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:40 pm

(Yesterday & Today)

On the Corner of Spa Road and Rouel Road Stood the Pearce Duffs factory. this picture was taken in 1976 after the closure of the factory The building stretch into Rouel Road the chimney above the building in the distance could be that of B Youngs Gelatine Works in Grange Road opposite Dunton Road.
I believe the building to the right of the picture was a pub and next to that was the Richmond Sausage Factoy opposite was the Salvation Army City Colony alas now all gone and half way down Rouel Road was the Liptons Jam factory the whole area employed many people looking at the picture sharp right was Enid Street with Enid motor garage under the railway arches

Todays picture reflects how the whole area has changed in recent years
pearceduff.jpg 2.jpg
Pearce Duffs factory
Pearce Duffs old Site.jpg
The Pearce Duffs factory closed in 1974 and the site has now been redeveloped

fosney

Re: Rouel Road

Postby fosney » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:59 pm

On the Corner of Spa Road and Rouel Road Stood the Pearce Duffs factory. this picture was taken in 1976 after the closure of the factory
The building stretch into Rouel Road the chimney above the building in the distance could be that of B Youngs Gelatine Works in Grange Road opposite Dunton Road.
I believe the building to the right of the picture was a pub ... and half way down Rouel Road was the Liptons Jam factory

-fosney

Posted by freddie

Just to add that I think the pub was the Red Lion, a 'modern build' of probably early sixties to my mind. Lipton's in Rouel Road was demolished in early 1969, this pix shows the cleared site in March of that year with Pearce Duffs in the background:
Liptons Factory demolition.jpg
You can take the girl out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the girl!
Last edited by fosney on Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Aug 29 10 1:59 PM

Just to add that I think the pub was the Red Lion, a 'modern build' of probably early sixties to my mind. Lipton's in Rouel Road was demolished in early 1969, this pix shows the cleared site in March of that year with Pearce Duffs in the background:
[image]

-freddie

posted by rstupple2

Hi freddie the Pub was the red Lion, it used to be halfway up Enid street by Enid garage but the was rebuilt at that site,
All the best Rick

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:20 pm

posted by rstupple

On the Corner of Spa Road and Rouel Road Stood the Pearce Duffs factory. this picture was taken in 1976 after the closure of the factory The building stretch into Rouel Road the chimney above the building in the distance could be that of B Youngs Gelatine Works in Grange Road opposite Dunton Road.
I believe the building to the right of the picture was a pub and next to that was the Richmond Sausage Factoy opposite was the Salvation Army City Colony alas now all gone and half way down Rouel Road was the Liptons Jam factory the whole area employed many people looking at the picture sharp right was Enid Street with Enid motor garage under the railway arches
Please correct me if I am wrong

[image]
[image]

-fosney

Hi freddie glad you mentioned the sausage factory was trying to think of the name. As kids we used to jump over the back wall and nick the sauages, then making ourselves sick eating raw sauages
All the Best rick

fosney

Postby fosney » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:43 am

Posted by Bermondseygal

Please correct me if I am wrong

Hi Fosney

Pearce Duffs, the Richmond Sausage factory and the Sally army...those names take me back!
I remember all those buildings well.
Does anyone remember the big picture of the pig and sausage on the Richmond factory wall in Spa Road?
I couldn't find a pic of the actual pig and sausage on the Spa Road factory but here's a pic of the pig and sausage advertising Richmond's other factories
Sausage.jpg
You can take the girl out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the girl!

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:24 pm

Posted by taxi105

Hi Fosney
The pub to the right of Pearce Duffs was called The Red Lion, opposite what used to be open land and for a few years was used by the then Enid Street Motors which was a Vauxhall Agent for displaying cars. I remember this because I saw the latest model then, of the Vauxhall Wyvern parked there in the early 1960s.
This is a poser for you if you went to the right of the Red Lion Pub and went to walk through the arch towards Jamaica Road there was a tiny little pub on the corner which was adjacent to the corner of the arch and Enid Street. It was called The Happy Home . I have looked through the dead pubs web site and can find no reference to it. If you or anyone has any knowledge of it I would be very appreciative, my mother and a friend used the pub frequently in the 1950s and 60s.
Once again thanks for the incredible amount information you provide on our beloved Bermondsy.
Thanks
David

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Posted by bermondseygal

Hi David (taxi105)

I thought I was the only one who remembered a pub called 'The Happy Home'!
The reason you couldn't find 'The Happy Home' anywhere on the internet is because 'The Happy Home' was a nickname locals called the pub.
The actual name of the pub was The Windsor Castle.

I lived around the corner from 'The Happy Home', in Frean Street, and my dad took me in there when I was a kid to see my mum's brother-in-laws dad who drank in there and I remember my dad saying we were going to 'The Happy Home' even though the pub was called the Windsor Castle and had a pub sign with a picture of Windsor castle!

Lesley

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:29 pm

Posted by bermbird

my mum n dad run the Red Lion for a couple of weeks when the guvnor went to mexico......

fosney

Postby fosney » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:31 pm

Posted by rstupple2

Hi David (taxi105)
I thought I was the only one who remembered a pub called 'The Happy Home'!
The reason you couldn't find 'The Happy Home' anywhere on the internet is because 'The Happy Home' was a nickname locals called the pub.
The actual name of the pub was The Windsor Castle.
I lived around the corner from 'The Happy Home', in Frean Street, and my dad took me in there when I was a kid to see my mum's brother-in-laws dad who drank in there and I remember my dad saying we were going to 'The Happy Home' even though the pub was called the Windsor Castle and had a pub sign with a picture of Windsor castle!
[url]
Lesley

-bermondseygal

Hi Lesley, there was a pub on the corner of the Pic you showed, was not that pub called the Red lion that was rebuilt across the Road. The Pub called the Windsor Castle was at the other end of those garages. It used to stand on the corner of a cross road with Enid Street, the other Road used to run though what is now the Neckinger Estate, in the fities there was a waste ground there we as kids cleared some of it and uncovered the road, and used it as a football pitch, there also used to be a Little petrol Station next to the Windsor Castle. Remember an army tanker filling the station's Petrol tanks must have been a strike on at the time.

Rick

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:57 am

Thomas Lipton opened a jam factory at Rouel Road in 1892, producing jam and preservatives from 1894. The factory in Rouel Road itself was closed after a fire in the 1960s.
Liptons was part of the Allied Suppliers Group along with T W Beach & Sons who took over the factory in Rouel Road in 1960. This was also when Richmond Sausages (part of the Allied Group) took over the factory in Spa Road, I can’t remember what was there before. I started work at Beaches as a driver in 1960 until about 1965, doing journey work. I can remember when I was on depot work driving the old Scammell Scarabs picking up Oranges from Dockley Road arches and back to the factory. The old Scarabs where a bit clapped out but they done the job with the wheel in the front the movability under the arches or any tight spaces was great, we called them iron horses. They also had a long nose Bedford Truck the only vehicle that ran on petrol so we all tried to be the one to fill it up at Enid Street Garage, I won’t elaborate but it was like buy one and get one free. ;) We also used to walk along Lucey Road under the arches to the café the other side for our tea-break. Rouel Road also had its own pub The Rouel Tavern at 70 Rouel Road, built in 1869.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”