Rouel Road

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Re: Rouel Road

Postby fosney » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:00 pm

posted by rstupple2

Hi David (taxi105)
I thought I was the only one who remembered a pub called 'The Happy Home'!
The reason you couldn't find 'The Happy Home' anywhere on the internet is because 'The Happy Home' was a nickname locals called the pub.
The actual name of the pub was The Windsor Castle.
I lived around the corner from 'The Happy Home', in Frean Street, and my dad took me in there when I was a kid to see my mum's brother-in-laws dad who drank in there and I remember my dad saying we were going to 'The Happy Home' even though the pub was called the Windsor Castle and had a pub sign with a picture of Windsor castle!

Lesley
-bermondseygal

Hi Lesley, there was a pub on the corner of the Pic you showed, was not that pub called the Red lion that was rebuilt across the Road. The Pub called the Windsor Castle was at the other end of those garages. It used to stand on the corner of a cross road with Enid Street, the other Road used to run though what is now the Neckinger Estate, in the fities there was a waste ground there we as kids cleared some of it and uncovered the road, and used it as a football pitch, there also used to be a Little petrol Station next to the Windsor Castle. Remember an army tanker filling the station's Petrol tanks must have been a strike on at the time.

Rick

Quote Reply

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:05 pm

posted by bermondseygal

Hi Lesley, there was a pub on the corner of the Pic you showed, was not that pub called the Red lion that was rebuilt across the Road. The Pub called the Windsor Castle was at the other end of those garages. It used to stand on the corner of a cross road with Enid Street, the other Road used to run though what is now the Neckinger Estate, in the fities there was a waste ground there we as kids cleared some of it and uncovered the road, and used it as a football pitch, there also used to be a Little petrol Station next to the Windsor Castle. Remember an army tanker filling the station's Petrol tanks must have been a strike on at the time. Rick

-rstupple2

Hi Rick

you could be right as time plays tricks on the little grey cells! Lol.
Yes maybe it was the original Red Lion and not the Windsor Castle that stood where I thought it did but I'm glad that The Windsor Castle DID stand somewhere in Enid Street and I wasn't imagining it!

Lesley

You can take the girl out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the girl!
Quote Reply

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:22 pm

We all read about Bermondsey Synagogue that was in Rouel Road opposite the Jam Factory it used to be the former Congregational Church before being used as a Synagogue.

Has anyone got any pictures of this building

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:47 am

SYNAGOGUE.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Posted by bermondseygal

This extract from GoogleEarth has been taken from underneath the railway arch at the northern end of Rouel Road. The arrow at point A indicates just about where the entrance to the Cambridge University Mission used to be. The letter B on the white van locates a newspaper shop which was there in the mid 1960s and earlier, but whose name I can no longer recall. Anybody got any ideas?
[image]
-paperboy

Hi paperboy

the shop was called Gill's and was run by a man called Bill...not sure if his name was Bill or us kids called him Bill because the name over the shop was Gills and it rhymed!
It was my local sweetshop (I lived in Frean Street which was right of the pic where the new flats called Hicks House, after Tommy Steele, now stand). when I was a kid in the 1960's.

Lesley

You can take the girl out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the girl!

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Posted by Mellers2009

Fantastic to see the photograph of Pearce Duff. My Nan used to work there, I think in the late 60's early 70's, not sure.

I was born in Bermondsey in 1971 so was too young to remember if I had ever seen where Nan worked. Unfortunately, my grandparents are no longer with us but I sure have lots of memories of Bermondsey (even though we moved house when I was around 4 years old).

It is fantastic to see photos of Old Bermondsey and it is so unfortunate that it has changed so much. So many high rise blocks!!!! I lived in St James' Road, not far from The Blue which I remember very well, Nan taking me to the co-op on the corner and I certainly remember the market, etc. I think that we had to move out as they were pulling all the houses down to build new houses, such a great shame. Our house was massive, well it probably was to me back then as I was only a nipper! Nan and Grandad used to live upstairs with their own kitchen, living room and bedroom and Mum, Dad, Sister and me lived downstairs, 2 huge bedrooms, kitchen and a living room - not forgetting the outside toilet!!!! I remember Mum either used to bath my sister and I in the kitchen sink or if we were lucky, the tin bath that was placed in the living room watching TV.

Thank you for posting all the photos. They have brought back so many good memories wink
Mellers2009

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:28 am

Rouel Road

The Congregational Church in Rouel Road was built around 1860 and stood opposite the Lipton Jam Factory ( formally a Leather Factory ) in Rouel Road the position of which can be seen from the old map of the area.
As I understand it the Church survived untill 1935 when it was converted into a Synagogue untill its closure in 1970. I cannot find any photographic evidence of the buillding only an artists impression of what the building was like. Today the whole area has been redeveloped and the site is now lost
aab9172296061b5889f328e95908da256b9af0dc.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:52 am

Rouel Road

Further to the earlier artists impression of the Church in Rouel Road on this page.
I have extracted pictures from the video 'South of the River 1964' which shows the Church and Houses in Rouel Road. This could be they only pictures of this area
8c960e0fde34ee5dbeedb0f25ef8298bf7fd68a7.jpg
10cfeadfd9ccdff4481f3292399fd82b643e8772.jpg

fosney

Postby fosney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:32 am

Posted by topsy

hi I was born in Rouel Road in 1947 right next to the synagogue / formerly congregational church. , I lived there unitl early 60's when we moved to George Row. it is nice to see an artists impression with the house I was born in right next door... was very happy there and had lots of friends in Rouel Road some of which I am still in touch with... what lovely memories... hope this helps

jillrogers

Postby jillrogers » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:01 pm

Just seen the photo of Rouel Road - we lived at 39 and that's our old car parked outside! My nan and granddad lived at number 51 next door to the synagogue. Didn't expect to see the old place ever again. We moved when I was 11 years old in 1968 as the houses were being pulled down for redevelopment, and settled in Sidcup.
Thanks for all the interesting posts and references to local schools and factories - brought back lots of memories- I was at Alma junior school- and all the family worked locally or at Butlers Wharf.

Regards - Jill Barwick (nee Rogers)

Return to “Buildings & Streets”