Abbey Street

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
Fogbrain

Re: Abbey Street

Postby Fogbrain » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Posted by fogbrain

I've now remembered that the Band of Hope was a new innovation at the Bermondsey Gospel Mission in the mid 60s, prior to which they had run a company of the Girls' Life Brigade.

fosney

Postby fosney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:54 pm

Posted by bermondseygal

Of course not. Nor rowdy. And I remember being under the impression that that group was from 'the other side' of Abbey Street, and I think they were only there to be a nuisance. My friends there were those connected with the mission, such as the Mills' daughters Susan and Heather, and possibly Glynnis although she was older.

-fogbrain

I can't remember the other kids at the Band Of Hope. I remember the friends I went there with.
They were my friend Lesley Cormack and her younger brother David who lived in St. James's Road.
I do remember Lesley knowing a brother and sister named Iris and Peter Shearer. They lived in the block of flats that were behind the Bermondsey Gospel Mission but I can't remember if they went to The Band Of Hope.

Do you remember Lesley or David Cormack or their older brother Malcolm or Iris and Peter Shearer?

You can take the girl out of Bermondsey but you can't take Bermondsey out of the girl!

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:55 pm

Posted by fogbrain

I don't remember any of those names, and like you I can't remember the other kids there apart from the ones I've mentioned. I just remember that there were a number of us who sat on the right hand side of the hall, nearly all girls, and that the noisy ones were on the left side, mostly boys. Sadly, I remember the building much better than I remember the people. Such as the dimly lit room in the basement with the table-tennis.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:55 am

Abbey Street..jpg
Sandbags under Abbey St arch

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:13 pm

Lupin Point Abbey Street Bermondsey Looking from Old Jamaica Road.2017. X.jpg
Lupin Point Abbey Street Bermondsey Looking from Old Jamaica Road.2017.

nuttyboy pat

Postby nuttyboy pat » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:09 pm

Found this old photo of Abbey Buildings taken during or after the war. Apparently there was some bomb damage to the roof of the flats in this picture taken during WW2 but I cant really see in this except for some damage in the foreground.
Picture 079.jpg
Abbey Buildings in the 40's?
I took a recent trip to Bermondsey taking lots of videos and pictures of the area and all the happy memories of living in Abbey Buildings and being raised up in Bermondsey came flooding back with a slight tear or two as well! Those were the happiest days of my life :) :) :) :)

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:58 am

Time & Talents originated in 1887 in the drawing rooms of Victorian society with a group of committed Christian women who deplored the waste and futility of the protected lives of the majority of young girls who were only expected to be decorative and obedient. Their ambition was to help girls of leisure and education use their Time and Talents in the service of others.

After a peripatetic early existence Time and Talents settled in 187 Bermondsey Street. In 1931 Dockhead House opened in Abbey Street with club rooms, a library and a large hall with a stage.
ABBEY STREET.jpg
ABBEY STREET DOCKHEAD HOUSE, TIME & TALENT CLUB.jpg
Abbey Street, Dockhead House Club.   X.png
Last edited by kiwi on Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:57 am

ABBEY STREET ,STAR & GARTER.jpg
Star & Garter, 187 Abbey Street, Bermondsey SE1 - circa 1942

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:25 am

ABBEY STREET c2016  X.jpg
ABBEY STREET c 2016

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:48 am

I am not sure of this, but I think this was on the corner of Fendall Street. Maybe someone will let us know. :?:
The Royal George Pub, Abbey Street, Bermondsey 1958..jpg
The Royal George Pub, Abbey Street, Bermondsey 1958.
Abbey Street, The Royal George.  X.png
84 Abbey Street, The Royal George.

Picture states The George but I think it is probably The Royal George. :?:
Abbey Street, The George c1920 Beano.  X.jpg
Abbey Street, The George c1920 Beano.
Last edited by kiwi on Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”