BOLINA ROAD/ZAMPA ROAD/MILLWALL.

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
kiwi

Re: BOLINA ROAD/ZAMPA ROAD/MILLWALL.

Postby kiwi » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:33 pm

This was a letter sent by Derek Possee (Millwall) in reply to a letter sent by my lovely niece Julie Hamilton (Bishop) to him in about 1969 (not sure of the date) she would have been about 7 or 8?
First let me say well done Derek for taking the time to reply to a fan, you can see how happy she was at that time. Julie still is a fanatical Millwall fan and believe it or not is still in contact with Derek. Julie also went on to play for Millwall Lioness’s in later years.

Julies comment to the letter. :D
A reply from my Hero Derek Possee & a picture with another, Alan Dorney Days like this, I was the Happiest kid in Bermondsey.
Millwall, Derek Possee (1967-73). Letter to Julie.  2  X..png
Millwall, Derek Posse.   X..png
Millwall, Alan Dorney, 1968-77 with Julie in c1969.  3 X.png
Alan Dorney, Millwall,1968-77. I think Alan lived in Maltby Street, Bermonndsey.

These were the forerunners.
Millwall Lionesses, at Marvels Lane Football Ground and Social Club. Julie second from left bottom row.  X..png
Millwall Lionesses at Marvels Lane Football Ground and Social Club. Julie second left bottom row.
Millwall Lioness’s 1972-73, Julie bottom row left.  3 X..png
Millwall Lioness’s 1972-73, Julie my niece bottom row left.

The 1972-73 Team.
Back Row.
Jill Wadey, Terry Filkins, Wendy Amy, Anita Constantinou, Pam Wright, ???, Sue Henderson.
Front Row.
Julie Hamilton, Kim Dunmore, Sharon Tanner, Michelle Wright, Linda Churcher, Lou Goddard, Mary Parkinson.

Millwall Julies visit to NZ 2023. Had to make her feel at home, X.png
Millwall Julies visit to NZ 2023. Had to make her feel at home, miss you. X

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:49 pm

MILLWALL.  X..png
COLD BLOW LANE, in front The Den', then the home of Millwall Football Club.  X..png
COLD BLOW LANE, in front The Den', then the home of Millwall Football Club. I think the top of the stand is visible, far right.
Last edited by kiwi on Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:57 am

How times have changed, could you imagine the players today being asked to train on that. “I can’t dive on that, I might graze my legs, or even get dirty. :roll:
Millwall manager Billy Grey plays in a practice game with his third division championships hopefuls. December 1965.  X..png

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed May 17, 2023 11:07 pm

Just a comparison with the other picture.
COLD BLOW LANE, BOMB DAMAGE CAUSED BY A FLYING BOMB, C1944.  X..jpg
COLD BLOW LANE, BOMB DAMAGE CAUSED BY A FLYING BOMB, C1944.

Rag and bone man Frank Gironella with his pony Titch who pulls an empty cart along a road near The Den.
I think this is the Cold Blow Lane entrance.? If so, it does come under New Cross, but posted, as like me there will be members from the Ilderton Road and beyond area who remember Frank.
Millwall, Cold Blow Lane entrance. Rag and bone man Frank Gironella with his pony Titch.  X..jpg
Last edited by kiwi on Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fogbrain

Postby Fogbrain » Thu May 18, 2023 8:51 pm

kiwi wrote:I think this is the Cold Blow Lane entrance.?
That looks right - he's shortly going to pass Hunsdon Road, once he's got past that wally standing in the middle of the road with a camera.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:57 am

Look at that crowd, you can’t replace The Den, or the cheese cutters. :)
The Den Millwall v Southend February 1923.  X..png
The Den Millwall v Southend February 1923.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:40 am

Strange picture. This was before my time, so not sure what part of the ground it was, or why it was there, plus it doesn’t look very safe.
Bolina Road, The Den, Millwall, c1938.   X..png
Millwall, The Den, c1938.

micky2horses

Postby micky2horses » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:48 pm

From tomorrow Zampa Road is to be renamed John Berylson Way after our sadly deceased owners

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:07 pm

micky2horses wrote:From tomorrow Zampa Road is to be renamed John Berylson Way after our sadly deceased owners

Thank you for your post and information micky2horses.
ZAMPA ROAD has been officially renamed ‘John Berylson Way’ in a tribute to Millwall’s,  former owner and chairman who died in car accident last July.  1  X..png
ZAMPA ROAD has been officially renamed ‘John Berylson Way’ in a tribute to Millwall’s, former owner and chairman who died in car accident last July.

Return to “Buildings & Streets”