Leroy Street

Yesterday & Today
How we lived then & How we live now
fosney

Leroy Street

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:13 am

Posted by crosby34

A photo of Leroy St circa 1935. I think its looking towards the buildings as the road turns towards Tower bridge Rd but I'm not too sure.
bc956c6d879865db8e6614d815dc654056873bf1.jpg
Leroy St circa 1935

fosney

Re: Leroy Street

Postby fosney » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:18 am

fosney
crosby34
Please keep the pictures coming as I am getting to the end !

Leroy Street Today - from more or less the same spot the terrace houses have gone but the flats on the corner remain now called Stewart House only change is the chimney pots which have been removed.
And you are correct the original is just before the bend going back to Tower Bridge Road
02020c9bd12f0a30dd7afba8e8af5a7507b092ac.jpg
Leroy Street Today

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:35 am

The Terrace Houses are on the left, I can only remember this as a bomb site from 1946 on-wards, was these houses bombed & destroyed in WW2.? Kiwi.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat May 20, 2017 5:26 am

Picture 2017. When I lived in Guinness’s Buildings (1942 to early mid-60s) my bedroom windows looked over the park too these buildings, Stewart House. The entrance by the red van was where the Book-maker stood to collect the bets. Any sign of the Law and he would disappear into the buildings. Tobies Club was further down, near to where the small building is now (Toby Noble). Tower Bridge Road is at the far end.
LEROY STREET,STEWART HOUSE.jpg
STEWART HOUSE,LEROY STREET

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat May 20, 2017 11:56 pm

This is where John Street Youth Club was held. I went there between 1948 to 1956. The building has changed slightly but still recognisable from the old days. The alley to the right is the alley leading into Guinness’s Buildings which had a gate that Mr Horton (Guinness’s Porter) closed & locked every night so you had to walk all the way around, down Old Kent Road or round through Harold Estate. Me I would climb over wall into the yard next door, where the house is and drop down the other side and hope Mr Horton never caught me. Mr Horton and is wife lived down the alley behind the club. Regardless of being told off many times by Mr Horton over the years for a number of things, him and his wife where a lovely old couple.
The other photo in 1953 is a day out with John Street Youth Club to Madame Tussauds. L TO R Myself Ray Hamilton, Leader Jean Brett (Moore) Freddie Lane (Lived in Guinness’s, middle square) Kenny Everdon, lived in Pages Walk in the house which is still there by the Tank. Unfortunately, can’t remember the name of the other boy. I can just hear my Mum saying pull your socks up you scruffy git.
LEROY STREET YOUTH CLUB.jpg
Now 36 Leroy Street. 2017.
Jean & the boys.jpg
A good day out for us and Jean was a lovely lady.
:D

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed May 31, 2017 8:27 pm

Barnaby Blds,Leroy St,Bermondsey.jpg
Barnaby Buildings, Leroy Street, Old Kent Road
Leroy Street,Barnaby Buildings c1960..jpg
Leroy Street,Barnaby Buildings c1960.
Last edited by kiwi on Wed May 08, 2019 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vossy53

Postby Vossy53 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:35 pm

George Horton was my Granddad. He was the porter ay Guinness Buildings from before the War up until the old blocks were demolished. He used to sweep the grounds every day with a great big broom. He called it his yard broom and I always though it was because it was three feet across. My brother and I used to stand on the broom as he swept. Here is a picture of George and my nan at the window of their little house in the alleyway off Leroy Street.
Vossy53
Annie and George Horton.jpg
Annie and George Horton

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:44 am

Hi Vossy 53 (Peter).
Smashing picture of your Nan & Granddad brings back some nice memories of them and Guinness Buildings. Especially when they used to shout at me, through those same windows when I used to climb back and forth over the wall into/from the yard next door when the gate was locked.
I remember your granddad George Horton very well, though he told me off quite a bit over the years, he was OK. They both knew my Mum and I think he had a soft spot for me after my dad done a moonlight flit and never came back. At times, they would take me into their house by the alley and give me a sweet or an apple. I still climbed over the wall and they still shouted at me but that’s life and good memories. :)
I do have a lovely picture of your Mum standing in the alley, which Sue (Winstone) sent me and I assume you have the same photo, if not let me know.
Cheers Ray (KIWI)

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:02 am

This is a picture of the John Street Football Team, on the back is Blackheath 1949. I was only 7/8 at the time and was there watching my brother Bob play. My brother Bob is the one with the X on his chest bottom row. I can remember most of the faces but unfortunately not all the names.
Thanks to Sue Winston (Smeagher1), Lakeman53 and Harry Winston (Sadly no longer with us) for providing most of the names in the team.
Top Row. Lakeman53s, Dad John Lakeman (twin), John Foster, Harry Wheeler, Danny Coleman.
Middle Row. Billy Jones, Unknown, Lakeman52s Uncle Freddie Lakeman (Twin).
Front Row. Sues Brother Harry Winston, Skeggs, Alfie Hays, Bobby Hamilton, Gillum.
John St, football team,1949 ray watched this game,Bob.jpg
John St football team,1949.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:51 am

Just wondered if anyone else received one of these books, commemorating the Queen’s Coronation. 1953. As you can see I received mine from the youth club in Leroy Street.
It’s only a small – 2 ¼ wide by 5 ½ ins.
BOOK 1.jpg
BOOK 2.jpg

Return to “Buildings & Streets”