Mint Street -
Mint Street was named appropriately after the Mint which was authorised by King Henry VIII and set up in Suffolk Place in about 1543. Suffolk Place being a mansion on the west side of Borough High Street.
Again in Mint Street in 1729 a new brick building for receiving and employing the poor of the parish was constructed. It opened at Christmas of that year and was The Workhouse. A further building was opened in 1872 and further additions were made in 1844 and 1859 to home some 624 inmates.
Nothing much seems to have changed in Mint Street in the recent few years. The buildings on the right as we reach Weller Street may well have been shops, or perhaps a pub and in the distance the Peabody Trust Building, Douglas Buildings (1886) still stands.
A record of this area was created in the diaries of John Evelyn and Samuel Pepys and the poverty of the area in the novels by Charles Dickens.