Surrey Docks, Canals and Wharfs
When it was complete, Norway dock was connected to Greenland Dock, with no independent access to the Thames. All vessels using Norway Dock would first enter Greenland Dock and then enter through Norway Cut, the connection passage between the two.
Sailing vessels where called Onkers. This picture shows short planks being unloaded from an Onker onto a lighter at the Surrey Commercial Docks. In the London docks, Onkers were the last sailing ships to compete with the reign of steam.
In the 1850s Prince's Wharf was the timber-built base of a barge and boat builder, but by 1873 the entire Thames frontage at this point was made up of a series of wharves of varying sizes. By 1937 Prince's Wharf was a six-storey brick-built wharf next to Gordon's Wharf and linked to it by walkways. Both had been operated as granaries by Gillman and Spencer, which specialized in landing and bagging loose cereals and the manufacture of flaked maize and brewers' preservatives, but when the company was purchased by Pauls Malt Ltd in 1902 they also manufactured a product called Kositos, an animal feed.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest