ROTHERHITHE,WHARFS & DOCKS.

Surrey Docks, Canals and Wharfs
Online
kiwi
Posts: 1478
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: ROTHERHITHE,WHARFS & DOCKS.

Postby kiwi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:53 am

LAVENDER WHARF, ROTHERHITHE STREET,1934.jpg
LAVENDER WHARF, ROTHERHITHE STREET,1934.
Lavender Wharf,you can see the warehouse of W.B. Dick & Co. Ltd. 1937.jpg
Lavender Wharf,you can see the warehouse of W.B. Dick & Co. 1937
Lavender Wharf in 1937, when it was the premises of W.B. Dick and Co.jpg
Lavender Wharf in 1937, when it was the premises of W.B. Dick and Co.

Online
kiwi
Posts: 1478
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: ROTHERHITHE,WHARFS & DOCKS.

Postby kiwi » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:00 am

Commercial Dock Pier Showing the Scotch Derrick, 1937, in the foreground, Odessa Street to the right of the Derrick..jpg
Commercial Dock Pier Showing the Scotch Derrick, 1937, in the foreground, Odessa Street to the right of the Derrick.
Scotch Derrick, Commercial Pier, Rotherhithe. 2017..jpg
The Scotch Derrick, Commercial Pier, Rotherhithe in 2017

A simple crane that was frequently used in quarries, docks and boatyards. They are also called stiff-leg derricks. The difference between a crane and a derrick is that the jib (arm) can be raised or lowered on a derrick, rather than the jib remaining stationary. They were used for lifting and moving heavy loads, larger ones had control cabins and they were usually steam-powered. The Thames Path bears right here, just before the derrick, onto Odessa Street.

Online
kiwi
Posts: 1478
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: ROTHERHITHE,WHARFS & DOCKS.

Postby kiwi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:43 am

Greenland Dock in the late 1950s.jpg
Greenland Dock in the late 1950s

Online
kiwi
Posts: 1478
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: ROTHERHITHE,WHARFS & DOCKS.

Postby kiwi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:20 am

GREENLAND DOCK.jpg
GREENLAND DOCK. c1950

Online
kiwi
Posts: 1478
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 am

Re: ROTHERHITHE,WHARFS & DOCKS.

Postby kiwi » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:59 pm

Deadman’s Dock, or Dodman’s Dock, was named after the shipbuilders Dudman & Company, who operated here at the end of the 18th century. It was bought from them by the Brighton and South Coast Railway Company in 1850. It was then owned by Southern Railway and eventually British Rail after nationalisation, until it closed in 1970. It is now the site of the Surrey Quays shopping centre.
Deadman’s Dock, or Dodman’s Dock.jpg


Return to “Docklands and Waterways”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest