The great pie & mash debate

Who's Hungry
rodebdon

Postby rodebdon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:42 pm

SPR Manze opened 1908 Bombed 1940.jpg
Manze southwark park road opened 1908 Bombed 1940

As we all know there are two kind's of people,those who eat their Pie's the right way up, and those who flip them over.The second group haveing exposed the soft white underside of the Pie,then attack it viciously with the spoon.Having inflicted terrible damage with that, they use the pointed fork, stab,stab,stab they go.After all this then comes the stinging vinigar, Ouch!

I on the other hand like mine the right way up, lovely crusty pastry on top ( like the dedicated ladies serve them) .Just a splash of chillie vinigar and a little salt on the mash and there you have it, perfect.

If you are of the first don't worry just be honest,I have an idea that you might be in the majority.

The picture is of the Manze's shop in Southwark, but the one in Tower Bridge Road was their first

Rod.

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:44 pm

What a great Debate, perhaps we should do a poll to see what the most popular way of eating Pie and Mash is.

Making me feel hungry just reading these post.
On the point of which way you eat your pies, i'm affraid i'm with Kentlass.
Turn them upside down, break open the soft pastry and fill with hot vinegar and pepper.
Then with fork or spoon, dive in and enjoy.

kiwi

Re: The great pie & mash debate

Postby kiwi » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:28 am

First let me say that if I could get Pie & Mash here in NZ I would not care what way up it was to eat, YOU LUCKY PEOPLE. I am going to sit on the fence regarding what way up it should be to eat as I can’t remember ever having a preference, it was just smashing, plenty of vinegar a little salt and off you go, lovely Jubbly. As the song goes “All I Have to Do Is Dream”. I must say I did prefer Joyces.
PIE & MASH.jpg
Manzes, Pie & Mash, Tower Bridge Road..jpg
Manzes, Pie & Mash, Tower Bridge Road, 2010?

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi Kiwi

You do know that Manzes deliver to your door?
Not sure how long it would take, you may have to warm it up a bit............... ;)

paperboy

Postby paperboy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:35 pm

I was advised, when I was a nipper, that you were given a knife and fork to eat your meal and a spoon to clump the cockroaches as they scuttled across the table. :D

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Hi Bermondseyboy,WE WISH, :( Liked Manzes, Preferred Joyces.
Two smashing pictures of Joyce's in Tower Bridge Road--- by Freddie, these really do bring back the memories .
joyces1.jpg
Mr Hoffman Serves up Pie's
joyces2.jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:52 am

JOYCES 3.jpg
Joyces - Mr Hoffman serving up what looks like Mash & Eels

paperboy

Postby paperboy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:21 am

I recall a fish curers next door, or perhaps behind, Manzes in TBRd. The aroma of kippers smoking was enough to put you off your stewed eels.

Vossy53

Postby Vossy53 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:18 pm

My brother lives in Cornwall now but he orders a big box of Pies and liquor from Manzies every few months. They freeze well so he has a bit of Bermondsey in Cornwall every week. My Dad and I however must be the only Bermondsey boys who DONT LIKE pie and mash. My Dad wont eat a pie unless my Mum makes it because " you don't know what they put in them"!!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:27 am

Combining Paperboy & Vossy53 posts with a bit of history plus a tongue in cheek comment could this solve both posts regarding the smell of kippers (though I think this is too early for Paperboy) and what goes/or went into the pies. The Fishmongers being number 79 and Manzes Pie Shop being very close at 87, Then That Fine. No this wouldn’t have happened, would it?? :twisted:
Tower Bridge Road (A100), formerly known as Bermondsey New Road, Tower Bridge at some point around 1890, Alfred Hitchcock (b. 1860) (uncle of film director Alfred Hitchcock) opened a fishmonger and poultry shop at 79 Bermondsey New Road, where he lived with his wife Emma and son, Alfred Charles.
From 1930 until at least 1939, Alfred Charles' cousin William John Hitchcock (brother of the director) lived at the shop with his wife Lilian. According to Hitchcock biographers, they had to leave the shop due the bombing during the London Blitz. When Alfred Charles died in 1944, he bequeathed the freehold of the shop to Lilian in his last will and testament.
The property is currently a Greggs outlet. ;)
79 TOWER BRIDGE ROAD c1900s.png
79 TOWER BRIDGE ROAD c1900s
Tower Bridge Road map from 1895, number 79 is shaded red.png
Tower Bridge Road map from 1895, number 79 is shaded red >>>>>>
GREGGS TOWER BRIDGE ROAD.2016 X.jpg
GREGGS TOWER BRIDGE ROAD.2016
Last edited by kiwi on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pie & Mash”