The great pie & mash debate

Who's Hungry
reddinrj

Pie & mash debate

Postby reddinrj » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:18 am

Seeing the comment about pie & mash, well growing up in Bermondsey l went to webb street school and my mum gave me sixpence a day for my school dinner which l sometimes did not like very much, so l would go to manze spend four pennies on mash & liquor and two pennies on two doughnuts from Edwards just along road from manza, always make fresh not very healthy, l survive.

kiwi

Re: The great pie & mash debate

Postby kiwi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:59 am

MANZES PIE & MASH SHOP,TOWER BRIDGE ROAD,2016  X.jpg
MANZES PIE & MASH SHOP,TOWER BRIDGE ROAD,2016

Patricia

Postby Patricia » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:11 am

I always preferred Berts down the Old Kent Road. I also liked the one in Peckham Park Road was that a Berts? A must after Saturday Morning pics at the Astoria

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:17 am

Hi Patricia, yes it was a Bert’s Pie & Mash shop, now Angelo Flooring,2017.
Kiwi (Ray).
Peckham Park Road, 2017, was  Burt’s Pie & Mash shop, now Angelo Flooring..jpg

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:18 am

Manze's Tower Bridge Road, Pie and Mash Shop. Opened in 1897.jpg
Tower Bridge Road, Manzes Pie and Mash Shop. Opened in 1897.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:38 am

Tower Bridge Road, 2017. Rick Poole, co-owner of Southwark’s Manze’s Pie and Mash stores, says the chain’s popular Tower Bridge Road branch is under threat as it struggles to keep up with the ever-changing times.
Bermondsey’s much-loved historic pie and mash shop is urging customers to get behind it as it fights to survive the gentrification of the borough.
“There’s always the threat [of closure] because over the years so many things have changed for us in Tower Bridge Road,” said Rick. “One of those things was the red route [which imposes parking and stopping restrictions on certain roads].
“You can drive up to the shop and not be in the red route – but as soon as you drive off you would be in it.
“Then they did away with any parking round the back of the shop, so we have to rely on people turning up in taxis or on foot. The parking is terrible.
They also did away with the market stalls, which were always a help to the shop. Pie and mash shops have always been near markets and so that was another nail in the coffin. The whole area is changing; it’s getting quite gentrified and we need to find ways to keep going.”
TOWER BRIDGE ROAD.png
Tower Bridge Road, 2017. Rick Poole, co-owner of Southwark’s Manze’s Pie and Mash..jpg
Rick Poole, co-owner of Southwark’s Manze's Pie & Mash stores. 2017
Manze's picture by Toby Jones.
I for one hope this never happens, so many memories in Manze’s and the Tower Bridge Road for me and many others. Strange how the people who have no attachment to these places want and try to make the changes. Manze’s and the Market is something they would probably have never used, not classy enough for them but it’s their loss, Pie & Mash was and still is the best. The Market when it was there was full of funny working-class people, working hard in all weathers to earn a crust for their families. Maybe those two words, Working-Class is, the problem in the area now? Of course, this is coming from an old Bermondsey Boy, who luckily doesn’t have to check his wallet to see if he can afford a bottle of Wine, but I haven’t forgotten where I come from, I haven’t forgotten my roots.
Good luck Rick hope it works out. :(

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:31 pm

Tower Bridge Road,Manze Pie & Mash Shop.  X.jpg
Tower Bridge Road,Manze Pie & Mash Shop.
Tower Bridge Road,Manze’s.  X.jpg
Tower Bridge Road,Manze’s Pie & Mash.   X.jpg
Boy do I miss that, any way UP!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:22 am

Arments Pie & Mash.
Just around the corner from the Elephant & Castle at 7-9 Westmoreland Road. Arments has been operating as a family business since 1914 – although it moved from its original site on Walworth Road to its current premises in 1979. First two pictures are of the Walworth Road shop.
Elephant & Castle. Arments P & M  X.png
Elephant & Castle. Arments Pie & Mash  X.png

Westmoreland Road, Arments Pie & Mash celebrated 102 years,with a song and dance from the Bermondsey Pearly King and Queen to marked the occasion.
Westmoreland Road, Arments Pie & Mash, celebrated 102 years,with A song and dance from the Bermondsey Pearly King and Queen marked the occasion.  X.png

ducati dad

Postby ducati dad » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:15 pm

paperboy wrote:I recall a fish curers next door, or perhaps behind, Manzes in TBRd. The aroma of kippers smoking was enough to put you off your stewed eels.

I think the wet fish shop was called Seculars..

simondeboot

Postby simondeboot » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:24 pm

Just to let any Londoners know that there is a pie and mash shop on Rochester high street that is as good as Manzes, when living in London my favorite pie shop was Manzes in Deptford high street but I would recommend the one in Rochester.

Return to “Pie & Mash”