J & H TRANSPORT.

Who remembers the old Trams and RouteMasters
kiwi

J & H TRANSPORT.

Postby kiwi » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:47 am

J & H Transport had a depot in Selden Road, Nunhead. They also had a base in Bermondsey as seen on the back of the trailer in the picture on the right, not sure where though. I know they used Croft Road off Evelyn Street but this was possible just offices? They were eventually taken over by HTS Transport.
J & H Transport..jpg
J&H Transport..jpg

Michael

Re: J & H TRANSPORT.

Postby Michael » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:12 am

I worked for J&H Transport on Croft St. from Jan to Oct 1964. I was told when I started that they were the second largest haulage
company in Britain next to BRS, and had 120 lorrys mostly AECs ( although this number seems a bit high). The company consisted of J&H
Transport, J&H Warehousing and J&H Motor Engineers. They had a repair depot at Southall and a depot in Liverpool. I worked in the garage and heard that they had a chance of becoming an AEC service agency but turned it down. They were gradually replacing the
AECs with a mixed fleet of Leylands, Scammells and ERFs etc, so the repair work started drying up. As for J&H in Peckham the only time
I heard about them was when I told my brother inlaw where I was going to work and he asked if they were in Peckham.

An earlier post mentioned Grace Transport, they were across the road at the bend in Croft St. They had a fleet of Fodens.
I checked Google street and the warehouse building and yard is still there, but the garage that backed onto Croft St. has gone.
Where Grace used to be is now a row of mews.

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:10 am

Hi Michael, welcome to the site and the information regarding J&H Transport. I knew they had a depot in Peckham but wasn’t sure about Croft Street, I thought this was just an office, obviously not the case, they were bigger than I remember.
Kiwi.
Last edited by kiwi on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:06 am

http://archive.commercialmotor.com/arti ... -go-public

This article will give you some idea about the size of the operation on Croft Street.

Return to “Transport”