Old Kent Road & Hatcham Railway Station

Who remembers the old Trams and RouteMasters
briancreasey44

Old Kent Road & Hatcham Railway Station

Postby briancreasey44 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has, or knows where to find, any photos of the above station?
I know it was closed during the first World War, but never reopened!
I did read a little while ago, about the possibility of a new OKR station, as part of the regeneration of the area... quite ironic that a lot of the old lines and stations are making a comeback!

Brian.
Last edited by briancreasey44 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking Through The Knothole In Granny’s Wooden Leg!

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Re: Old Kent Road & Hatcham Railway Station

Postby bermondseyboy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi Brian

This was taken from wikipedia.

Old Kent Road was a railway station on the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway line in south London which took its name from the Old Kent Road on which it was located. The station opened on 13 August 1866[1][2] on a viaduct and bridge crossing the road at a junction with a line to London Bridge station and what became Surrey Quays station on the East London Line and Queens Road Peckham station on the South London Line. The station was renamed in 1870 to Old Kent Road and Hatcham. The passenger train service to the East London was withdrawn on 1 June 1911 and the track was removed in 1912.[3] The station closed temporarily on 1 January 1917 during the First World War as an economy measure, but was never reopened after the end of the war.
East_london_railway_1915.jpg
East london railway 1915

The reopening of the spur from Old Kent Road Junction to the East London Line in December 2012 allowed through services a century after they were withdrawn. A new station named New Bermondsey is proposed to be situated about 700 metres north of the site of the former Old Kent Road station.[4][5] A possible Bakerloo line extension has also been proposed to stop at either Old Kent Road or Peckham Rye.[6][7] A Southwark Council planning document suggests that reopening the station, in addition to the New Bermondsey station, should be explored as part of the redevelopment of the area
Bricklayers_Arms_&_New_Cross,_Midhurst_RJD_91.jpg
Bricklayers Arms and New Cross

bermondseyboy
Site Admin

Postby bermondseyboy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Old Kent Road & Hatcham Station pictured in 1982.jpg
Old Kent Road and Hatcham Station pictured in 1982

Street level remains of Old Kent Road & Hatcham Station pictured in 1982.
Opened in 1866. Closed 1917. Demolished 2002 due to arch refurb

briancreasey44

Postby briancreasey44 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:14 am

Hi Steve,

Yes, I remember those entrances now... if I remember correctly, there was one either side of the viaduct, the one in the picture above must have been on the OKR side; the one on the New Cross side of the viaduct could be seen from the TV shop I worked at.
During the 80's/90's those arches were being used by a cardboard packaging company.
I assume that a staircase must have run from the station entrances, up to an island platform, similar to Queens Road station?
My old boss, Tony, from the TV shop has some cine footage of the demolition and rebuilding of the railway bridge... the old bridge having no central support and the large 'New Cross Stadium' sign adorning it!
I imagine any last remains of the old station platform were removed at that time?
The footage he has also includes some kind of car rally whizzing past the shop? It was interesting to note, that the OKR/ New Cross Road around the area of the bridge at that time, was one way, in the direction of New Cross? Anyone know why that might have been? Also, what would the car rally have been for? It's years since I've seen the footage, but the cars looked like they were carrying supplies for a long run! we're talking around 1968-69 i guess?

Brian.
Looking Through The Knothole In Granny’s Wooden Leg!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:36 am

Hi Brian, wonder if this could be your rally,? I remember them going down the Old Kent Road to get to Dover.
The Daily Express London-Sydney Marathon Rally, 1968
It was 10,000 miles long, and ran from London to France and Italy, then the former Yugoslavia and further south, before passing through Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India. The cars were then transported by boat to Australia, for the final leg.
The rally was won by Andrew Cowan in a Hillman Hunter.
Ray (Kiwi).

Return to “Transport”