JAMES & SON, MALT STREET

kiwi

Re: JAMES & SON

Postby kiwi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:09 am

JAMES & SONS, FORDSON.  X.jpg
JAMES & SONS, FORDSON.

Original Post by tonyandmarie1
Hi kiwi,
My first job when I left school at the tender age of 14 was with James and Son. the grain was collected from various brewerys and dilivered to farms as animal feed. Not sure about being good for rhubarb never grew much of it in the flats where I lived. lol . I left london when I was 17 (enlisted into the army) eventually settled in Belfast although I still go back to london once in a while to watch Millwall, until recently my mother lived in weston street (Burwash house) Enough from my. Take care regards
tonyandmarie1

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:27 pm

James & Sons,depot in Malt Street.  X.jpg

Grumpy

Postby Grumpy » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:50 pm

This brings back memories of when I left the Army and went to work for James & sons. I lived in Marlborough Grove, took me five minutes to get to work. My driver/mate was Terry Grey, his brother also worked there along with Tony (Ginger) Gibbens. Never regretted a moment, you could earn good money if you worked hard, was as fit as butcher dog....!

kiwi

Postby kiwi » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:01 am

Grumpy wrote:This brings back memories of when I left the Army and went to work for James & sons. I lived in Marlborough Grove, took me five minutes to get to work. My driver/mate was Terry Grey, his brother also worked there along with Tony (Ginger) Gibbens. Never regretted a moment, you could earn good money if you worked hard, was as fit as butcher dog....!

Hi Grumpy, Welcome to the site. I remember one of James & Sons lorries parking down Willow Walk, same side as the Alscot Arms Pub. It really did Pen & Ink, the grain not the pub and when it pulled away there was always a pile of grain left in the road. I’m not sure of this but we were told that someone in the houses along there shovelled it up and put it on their garden, by all accounts the Veg came up half-cut.
When we moved down to Kent (Wateringbury) James & Sons would pick-up from the Phoenix Brewery.

Return to “Transport”