ALMA ALEXIS SCHOOL (ALMA SCHOOL).

Schools you went to
kiwi

ALMA ALEXIS SCHOOL (ALMA SCHOOL).

Postby kiwi » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:12 am

Am I right in thinking that at one time there where two separate schools, Alma School, Southwark Park Road & Alexis Street School in Alexis Street.?
ALMA ALEXIS SCHOOL 1950 CLEANING BOMB SITE..jpg
ALMA ALEXIS SCHOOL CLEANING BOMB SITE 1950.

paperboy

Re: ALMA ALEXIS SCHOOL (ALMA SCHOOL).

Postby paperboy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:30 pm

I have borrowed the above image for a memory from 1960. At that time the area shown at "A" had become Robert Jones House between Linsey Street ("D") and Rouel Road ("B"). In 1960 the headmaster of Alma School which was in Alexis Street ("C") was Mr Murphy whose office was at "F". This office overlooked the area on the other side of Alexis Street which had been cleared of prefabs but was yet to become Robert McKenzie House ("E"). Mr Murphy obtained permission to clear the site for a cricket pitch and organised teams of pupils to move the detritus to the edges of the site and establish a flat area for cricket. The lead pupil on the project was the Red house captain, Barry Thurnell. During the clearance the exercise became known to the BBC who sent along a filming and reporting team to report on BBC Tonight a national TV programme fronted by Cliff Michelmore. Mr Murphy and Barry were interviewed and the project, along with Murphy and Barry, was seen on TVs in front rooms across the UK. The pitch only lasted one season (maybe two seasons, I'm not sure) as the flats were built very soon afterwards.

For those that remember Barry, he died on a trip to Prague and the report of his passing can be found here ... http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/political-activist-barry-thurnell-dies-holiday/story-19350046-detail/story.html
Image2.jpg
Alma School, Alexis Street

Return to “Schools”