like to know if anyone out there went to this school

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

johnoj

regular

#1 [url]

Apr 3 10 5:41 PM

Hi suzie49 i dont know what years you are talking about but a Nephew of mine went to that School in the 50s name of Albie Kemp and I know relations of mine Jimmy Johnson and Family used to live in tha Estate,, Johnoj

Quote    Reply   

paperboy

superstar

#3 [url]

Apr 4 10 8:15 AM

I went to Bacon's in the mid 60s but 'worked' on a part time voluntary basis at Redriff for a few months in 1965/6. This was just a few days each week and I would take the kids who needed reading practice out of a class and help them practice their reading a few times a week. There was little room so I took these sessions in amongst the coats in the cloakroom. I cycled there from home in Linsey Street and it was great weaving in and out of the docks traffic.

Quote    Reply   

susie49

rookie

#4 [url]

Apr 4 10 2:31 PM

Hi, thank you for your reply, i went to bacons in 70s, my sister went to bacons in the 60s, i also went to redriff nursery, my mum used to help out there, i think Mrs Wilson was headmistress at redriff and Mr Ing was headmaster at bacons, that is what you call a headmaster. My two daughters attended bacons, its still a nice school or should i say college, but its all to relaxed, when i went to bacons we had to call our teachers maa,m and sir, i know times change but i think some things should stay as they are, perhaps i am just a bit old fashioned, but manners cost nothing. Barrry Albin was in the same year as my sister at bacons, i wonder if you was there at that time, i can remember some of the teachers names, Mr Razey Miss Davenport, Miss Milsom, Mr Lehman, Mr Owen Miss Paige, Mr Razey was great, i was hopeless at maths and nothings changed, that man had so much patience with me, we sort of turned it into a comedy act, he was strict but had a brilliant sense of humour, mind you with a pupil like me, he needed one. Everyone used to say he was having a bit of a do with Miss Milsom, i think they had a little sparkle for each other. I did stay on into 6th form but hated it, so i left and got a job in a stockbrokers, the rest is history, hope to hear from you soon.

Quote    Reply   

susie49

rookie

#6 [url]

Apr 4 10 3:05 PM

Hi jimbo, no im not, but i do remember the Smiths, if we are talking about the same ones, did you live in Acorn Walk, and did you go to redriff school.

Quote    Reply   

jimbo

rookie

#7 [url]

Apr 5 10 11:56 AM

No I didn't attend. My wife lived in rotherhithe St and told me that the Smith sisters., the Cater sisters, Diane Short. My daughter went there but this was in the 80's

Jimbo

Quote    Reply   

paperboy

superstar

#8 [url]

Apr 6 10 1:11 PM

I was at Bacon's from 1963 to 1967 and would agree that Wilf Ing was a stickler for discipline, although I wouldn't necessarily agree with his methods. Barry was the year below me. He and I enjoyed a pint recently after the funeral of one of my uncles - he's not changed a jot. It was thanks to Lilian Davenport that I went into to teaching. In some ways it was a shame that I left teaching but I'd be less comfortable now if I'd stayed in the profession. Oddly I rated Mike Owen (aka Gerry) as one of the better teachers. It;s amazing how I still refer back to some of his lessons when trying to solve issues with Microsoft Excel! He'd be impressed. Miss Paige was probably the most forward and liberally minded of the teachers, with the odd exception. Largely I can recall most of my time at Bacon's with some pleasure, so that's not so bad!

Quote    Reply   

crosby34

superstar

#9 [url]

Apr 10 10 1:04 AM

I went to Bacons in the early 70s and remenber those teachers. I haven't thought of them in years. Mr Barnes was my geography teacher and he used to get a train up from Brighton to Delaford Rd every day (I don't think he taught at pages walk). Miss Fawcett and Mr Glynn both tought science. Mr Ricks PE. 
 Both my kids go to fairly strict schools which remind me of Bacons (my son goes to St Olaves which used to be in Bermondsey) but even in the 70s Bacons had a local reputation for discipline. I can remember teachers measuring our trousers to make sure they weren't flared. I've attached a picture of the school when it was being built to replace the old Credon Rd school for anyone who might be interested.Although it was near South Bermondsey station, I think the Delaford Rd building was in Rotherhite.

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

susie49

rookie

#10 [url]

Apr 11 10 11:22 AM

Hi Crosby34, Just read your reply, you made me laugh when you spoke about the boys trousers being measured, they used to measure the girls skirts as well, if they was to short, we would get detention, in those days the shorter the better, now the girls wear them down to there ankles, i wonder if our paths crossed.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

susie49

rookie

#11 [url]

Apr 11 10 11:43 AM

Hi Paperboy, was Mr Owen the maths teacher, i do remember him but never had him as a teacher, my maths teacher was Mr Razey, i thought he was great, i enjoyed my time at Bacons, when i started work i used to wish i was back there, you must have been there when my sister was there, she would have been in the year below you, because she was in the same classes as Barry Albin.

Quote    Reply   

susie49

rookie

#13 [url]

Apr 12 10 8:52 AM

Hi Crosby34, considering i went to Bacons, and had a really good maths teacher, me and numbers just do not mix well, i think i started in 1973, could not tell you when i left, but i did start 6th form, but  i left because i hated being a prefect, having to check the girls toilets out to see if any of them was smoking, and dishing out late lines on the gate, just was not me, it would have suited me better to be in the toilets with them. I got a job in a stockbrokers in the city, i loved it, the funny thing is all these years later, my daughters boyfriend works for them. I was born in 1961 so i think i might be right, but as i said before maths is not my strong point.

Quote    Reply   

smithers54

novice

#15 [url]

Apr 17 11 1:26 PM

My cousin went to Bacon's school and was there the same time as Barry Albin but I don't know if she was in the same year.  Her name if Christine Calnan.

Quote    Reply   

george61

superstar

#16 [url]

Apr 18 11 12:57 PM

Hi Smithers54,

I lived next door to Christine and Pat Calnan at Beech House in the 1960's. If either of them acknowledge your post I would be only too glad to hear from them.

Quote    Reply   

dog55v

novice

#17 [url]

Apr 21 11 7:12 AM

Hi I went to Redriff from the early Fifties To 1960.  I went to Paragon School from 1960-1965 when I went to work at Molins Machine Co till 1969 at Deptford,  when I joined the G.P.O.  Brother also went there but he was 3 years older than me.  By the way my mum grew up with Max Bygraves in the twenties / thirties in Swan lane Buildings.  I had many a drink in the Ship and York Pub.

Quote    Reply   

johnt

novice

#18 [url]

Apr 21 11 10:04 AM

Diane Short was in the same class as me at Redriff Primary, but I don't suppose she'll remember me, John Tobin. Also Janet Carter, Sharon Mackenzie, Christine Flack, Ingrid Machin, John Hogg, Christopher Brown, John Gelling, George Smythe were in the same class.

Quote    Reply   

dog55v

novice

#19 [url]

Apr 24 11 2:18 AM

I lived in beech house from1963 till I got married in 1970. By the way I lived at 426 Rotherhithe St until my dad lost his leg in Surrey Docks. My 3 uncles and 3 Aunts Lived in Acorn Walk and a multitude of cousins & other relatives including Grandma.  I lived opposite Castrols & Horseferry Wharf from where I watched the Royal yacht take Princess Margret on Honeymoon!! 

Quote    Reply   

smithers54

novice

#20 [url]

Apr 24 11 12:14 PM

Hi Jimbo

My friend told me about your post, I am Diane Short, who is your wife.  I'm very puzzled!!!!

Smithers54

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help